Game Boy Pi 3 Build

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
JonPC

Game Boy Pi 3 Build

Post by JonPC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 am

Hey everyone, I'm starting to build a Game Boy with a Raspberry Pi 3B. I'll be posting my progress and asking questions about this topic.

So, a few months ago I bought everything I thought I needed for this build, with the purpose of building it during the summer.
This is a list of the components I bought:Show
I think I still have to buy a few things, so I will be updating the list with the new components.

Before I start the build I have a few questions:
  1. How do I have to manage the power supply in this build?
    I've heard in some places that the Powerboost 1000C can be problematic when working with the RPi 3. Can it support this project? Or should I buy something else? In the tinkerBOY guide they talk about connecting the Powerboost directly to the Raspberry, so there should be no problem, right?
  2. What's the wiring needed between the tinkerBOY and the RPi 3?
    The tinkerboy guide is mostly oriented for working with the RPi Zero. There are this two that explain the power connections and the audio and composite pinout for the RPi 3, but I'm not totally sure about it.
Thanks in advance for your answers, I'll be posting the whole process with images and schematics so it might help someone in the future.

Ps: I'm not sure if this post is in the right subforum, if I misplaced it let me know.
Pss: English is not my first language, sorry if it is not perfect.

infinitLoop

Re: Game Boy Pi 3 Build

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

JonPC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:12 am
Hey everyone, I'm starting to build a Game Boy with a Raspberry Pi 3B. I'll be posting my progress and asking questions about this topic.

So, a few months ago I bought everything I thought I needed for this build, with the purpose of building it during the summer.
This is a list of the components I bought:Show
I think I still have to buy a few things, so I will be updating the list with the new components.

Before I start the build I have a few questions:
  1. How do I have to manage the power supply in this build?
    I've heard in some places that the Powerboost 1000C can be problematic when working with the RPi 3. Can it support this project? Or should I buy something else? In the tinkerBOY guide they talk about connecting the Powerboost directly to the Raspberry, so there should be no problem, right?
  2. What's the wiring needed between the tinkerBOY and the RPi 3?
    The tinkerboy guide is mostly oriented for working with the RPi Zero. There are this two that explain the power connections and the audio and composite pinout for the RPi 3, but I'm not totally sure about it.
Thanks in advance for your answers, I'll be posting the whole process with images and schematics so it might help someone in the future.

Ps: I'm not sure if this post is in the right subforum, if I misplaced it let me know.
Pss: English is not my first language, sorry if it is not perfect.
the 3 is probably fine with the powerboost. you run into problems with the b+ and the a+ because they draw a lot of current. the 1000 only does 1000ma. there are two places you can run the 5v out of the powerboost though, so you can run one line from there to the pi and then a second to the tinkerboy board (and then from that to your screen and your external usb, if you want one).

those guides should tell you the basics of what you would need to know. you just need to figure out where the composite video out is, and run that (with a ground) to the display board. and then you will run the usb d+ and d- from the pi to the tinkerboy board, and that is essentially it. (if you want a volume wheel and shoulder buttons, just follow his guides on where to hook those into the board). the board has a usb hub with a controller and audio amp built in so you don't need anything else for a basic build.

your english is great, by the way ! :)

JonPC

Re: Game Boy Pi 3 Build

Post by JonPC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 am

Hi, thanks for answering.
the 3 is probably fine with the powerboost. you run into problems with the b+ and the a+ because they draw a lot of current. the 1000 only does 1000ma. there are two places you can run the 5v out of the powerboost though, so you can run one line from there to the pi and then a second to the tinkerboy board (and then from that to your screen and your external usb, if you want one).
I just saw this morning that the RPi 3B can consume 2.5A so I think I'll get a more powerful PSU, just in case with the screen, usb and all that it falls short. I'll update this when I find one.
those guides should tell you the basics of what you would need to know. you just need to figure out where the composite video out is, and run that (with a ground) to the display board. and then you will run the usb d+ and d- from the pi to the tinkerboy board, and that is essentially it. (if you want a volume wheel and shoulder buttons, just follow his guides on where to hook those into the board). the board has a usb hub with a controller and audio amp built in so you don't need anything else for a basic build.
Ok thanks, I thought it would be more complicated than that :D

Edit: After a quick search I found the RetroPSU from Helder's Game Tech (3,5A max, smaller than the PB). I think I'll order that.