Shell modifications question

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Liathou

Shell modifications question

Post by Liathou » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:44 am

Hi everyone,

I'm building my first Gameboy Zero.
I'm a total noob when it comes to electronics and soldering, so I think I'll keep my build as simple as possible.
I'll be using Tinkerboy Controller V3, with Tinkerboy Add-on board (volume wheel, usb port and 2 back buttons).
I got nearly everything I need, and I already sanded the shell to house the screen and its bracket.

I'm pretty sure I also need to sand down some things in the back of the shell, but can't figure what. I tried looking online and on this forum, but most "guides" i found were about making room for the screen.

Do you have a guide, a tutorial, or even an image of what I need to cut/sand ?
Thanks a lot.
French builder !

Jakeup

Re: Shell modifications question

Post by Jakeup » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Here’s is what tinkerBOY recommends https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/game-boy-dmg- ... ntrollers/

Liathou

Post by Liathou » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:28 am

Thanks for this link.
Do you know if that would work with the V3 + add-on board ?
My GB Shell took 1 month to be delivered, I don't want to mess it up :D
French builder !

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 am

Liathou wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:28 am
Thanks for this link.
that link is for the v2 board which has a component mounted in that spot, so, no, technically, you do not have to do that...

really, there is no one answer to how you will need to modify the back case. it depends on the components you use, and how you fit them.

you don't list which power supply you are going to use (that is not built onto the tinkerboy board) or battery, and those two things would be what you would mount in the back. most PSUs will fit in the game cartridge area without having to modify the case though. some batteries will fit in the compartment without having to remove anything, and some fit by just clearing out some of the short walls in there, and others are too big and would force you to remove some of that battery area.

the only thing you should need to do to fit the v3 board is file down a couple of the bits that stick out too far, on the rear of the battery compartment (like the one that normally holds the headphones).

also, it looks like you'd need to drill out the middle screw mounting posts, if you are using his rear button bracket.

Liathou

Post by Liathou » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am

Thank you for your reply.
I've gone with the right way I think, which is what you describe : do a test fit, and if something sticks out, remove it. Worked for me so far.

Thank you both for your replies :)
French builder !

Dawilson123

Post by Dawilson123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 am
Liathou wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:28 am
Thanks for this link.
that link is for the v2 board which has a component mounted in that spot, so, no, technically, you do not have to do that...

really, there is no one answer to how you will need to modify the back case. it depends on the components you use, and how you fit them.

you don't list which power supply you are going to use (that is not built onto the tinkerboy board) or battery, and those two things would be what you would mount in the back. most PSUs will fit in the game cartridge area without having to modify the case though. some batteries will fit in the compartment without having to remove anything, and some fit by just clearing out some of the short walls in there, and others are too big and would force you to remove some of that battery area.

the only thing you should need to do to fit the v3 board is file down a couple of the bits that stick out too far, on the rear of the battery compartment (like the one that normally holds the headphones).

also, it looks like you'd need to drill out the middle screw mounting posts, if you are using his rear button bracket.
Like this...
Attachments
20190719_143346.jpg
L + R back buttons installed
20190719_143346.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 2524 times
20190719_113903.jpg
Middle case mounting holes drilled out for L + R back buttons
20190719_113903.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 2524 times