Mushy buttons and input lag

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
triticus

Mushy buttons and input lag

Post by triticus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 am

I've got a Gameboy Zero with seemingly slow inputs and super mushy buttons. I really have to crush the start select buttons and I feel like inputs are being completely missed. Could it be as simple as the way the PCB and buttons interact? Maybe I need to get the PCB closer to the front shell? Or could it be a software problem or a pi zero not being able to handle the game? Seems to be pretty consistent across multiple games.

VeteranGamer

Re: Mushy buttons and input lag

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:59 am

triticus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 am
I've got a Gameboy Zero with seemingly slow inputs and super mushy buttons. I really have to crush the start select buttons and I feel like inputs are being completely missed.
this could/should be a support section post

you haven't given any info about what you've actually got in your build.....

if you have you control inputs via a micro controller, then that could be the issue and you may/should be able to adjust it.....

if the controls are via the GPIO....
then the culprit most definitely is going to be the silicone pad (this could also be the case with the micro controller setup)

I personally have found that the cheap/repro silicone pads that you can get (mainly from China) are just NOT great....
especially the ones for the Start & Select and the Dpad.....

I would look at getting some slightly better made ones....

https://www.retromodding.com/collection ... icone-pads

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 am

Clean the contact pads on the pcb board. If the issue persists then try another silicon pads like VeteranGamer has mentioned. Also make sure the screws are not too tight.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

triticus

Post by triticus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm

I'll update with hardware specifics in a bit. I grabbed a new set of pads from retro modding. They definitely have improved things. I think the buttons themselves are a factor. I'm skeptical of the design of the back of the dpad for instance, it's hitting the raised part of the pad at an angle because of the flat back of the button. I feel like there should be a nub for each direction so it hits more cleanly.

Like the start/select hit much better. But they are not sitting as proud of the case as I would expect. The down on the dpad hits 60% of the time.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 am

triticus wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm
I'll update with hardware specifics in a bit. I grabbed a new set of pads from retro modding. They definitely have improved things. I think the buttons themselves are a factor. I'm skeptical of the design of the back of the dpad for instance, it's hitting the raised part of the pad at an angle because of the flat back of the button. I feel like there should be a nub for each direction so it hits more cleanly.

Like the start/select hit much better. But they are not sitting as proud of the case as I would expect. The down on the dpad hits 60% of the time.
yeah, i'd say the buttons definitely play a part. personally, i like the nes style buttons from retromodding to compensate for that mushy d-pad feel. they have a sharper edge (and maybe a little thicker?) so it just feels better to play with, imo. i think its mainly just those cheap buttons and pads that you can get that real bad responsiveness from.

Refusor

Post by Refusor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:49 am

triticus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:19 am
I've got a Gameboy Zero with seemingly slow inputs and super mushy buttons. I really have to crush the start select buttons and I feel like inputs are being completely missed. Could it be as simple as the way the PCB and buttons interact? Maybe I need to get the PCB closer to the front shell? Or could it be a software problem or a pi zero not being able to handle the game? Seems to be pretty consistent across multiple games.
Hi Triticus,

Yes, that was a main issue that I've met with 3 pcbs : one simple PCB, and 2 AIO pcbs. And I've tried many sillicon buttons from differents providers.It was improve a little, but not yet.

The solution is quite simple : relfow the contact on your pcb with a solder iron (flux + "chiseled" tip) ; and brush reflows controls with isopropylic alcohol.

and all will be fine. 8-) 8-)

GigaCat

Post by GigaCat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:52 am

Can vouch for Refusor's solution. Applying a careful amount of solder to the contacts (make sure not to bridge any connections or you're basically holding that button forever), input didn't require nearly as much brute force.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Or use a fine grit sandpaper to carefully scratch the contact pads.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 am

Refusor wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:49 am

The solution is quite simple : relfow the contact on your pcb with a solder iron (flux + "chiseled" tip) ; and brush reflows controls with isopropylic alcohol.

This should work for cheaper pcbs that went with a solder finish. If they are using the gold finish then just alcohol on the pads and button carbon pads should be enough to clean both. I've gotten away from using the solder finish for button pads because of this.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Refusor

Post by Refusor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:10 am

Helder wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 am
Refusor wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:49 am

This should work for cheaper pcbs that went with a solder finish. If they are using the gold finish then just alcohol on the pads and button carbon pads should be enough to clean both. I've gotten away from using the solder finish for button pads because of this.
You're right Helder about this. Notive that I've never used this technic on good PCBs as Tinkerboy or Kite provider (I've 4 type of different PCBs ; Kite , ebay, Tinkerboy and Renegade Labs....yeah PCBs are my passion :lol: )

However, a lot of people were bought some cheaper pcbs, so this technic is very efficient on them : notice also this kind of issue wasn't appear on goods PCBs.I've tried (and succeed) with the following technic :

1°)toothbrush and isopropylic alcohol
2°)flux (tested with 2 type of flux)
3°)wiring (3 type of solder with or without silver)
4°) toothbrush and isopropylic alcohol.

But sure, if you succeed only with cleaning with alcohol, just made it that way ; and you're absolutly right about pcbs with gold cover on it.