PocketPi FE Pre Pre-Order Preparation

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
razormime

PocketPi FE Pre Pre-Order Preparation

Post by razormime » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:51 am

Hello, Sudomod Forum!

Been following some of the projects for a while, and finally decided to get into this myself. So I'm a new member, but I hope I can hang with you all for a while.

Anyway, to the point: I'm now on the waitlist for the "fully built PocketPi FE". I want to get all my ducks in a row before I order to make it easier for the folks at Galaxy Gaming. My first question is how long does the battery generally last? I can't find info about that anywhere. And the other question would be at customizing the build - but not much. I want just the basic white shell (without custom printing, just white) and the black buttons, but I would like if the new "X,Y,L,R" buttons could be white. Is this a pretty basic request? The other thing I would like is a custom lens - I just want the glass lens to be black and to properly mask the screen they put into the build. I also have two, vector icons (white black and gray) that I would like on the lens (one is just a pokemon sprite and the other is just the gameboy pocket logo). Is all of this doable? or is it too much to ask?

Thanks again for any help, I already have some cash set aside for the project, I just want to get my ducks in a row so I can present Galaxy Gaming with a clear request for a custom build when they green-light the pre-orders.

-Razor

rodocop

Re: PocketPi FE Pre Pre-Order Preparation

Post by rodocop » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I would avoid Galaxy Gaming, they have bad track record here, the last batch of pre orders people waited a year plus for orders, or never received them at all. With very poor communication. The board itself was good (I got an early run and built from scratch). But there are better options now.

But to answer the questions, using a 2000mah battery you'd likely get about 3-4 hours maybe? And if you are going to get one from GG and they offer color options you want then that is fine, choose what ever colors you want (assuming they offer it).

Go to bluishsquirrel, I believe that offer custom lens solutions.

If I was you though, I would go the route of the Kite Shield (assuming you want a pocket shell). Or check out the Kite Sword if you want to use an original DMG shell. Kite has preorders running now, and his boards are tried and tested, and his customer service is far above GG. The nice thng about those two options is they use a CM3 module, instead of a pi zero, so much more power.

The only issue is you cannot get a fully built kit, his products are DIY and you will need to buy a shell, buttons, battery etc...And a small amount of soldering is required.

here is the link for Kite's boards

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9534

razormime

Post by razormime » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Rodocop, thanks for the reply. That's really unfortunate to hear. I would love to do the work myself, only I don't have the tools as I'm away for university.

I definitely want a GBP model. But I am starting to get the feeling that communication with Galaxy Gaming is not the greatest. The website is not updated when it comes to the preorder status. I understand that there have been some issues that affected the last batch, but it would be nice to see the website reflect that.

Damn. So they don't really have a good reputation huh? I've been getting my hopes way up for a Gameboy Pocket. I wonder if anyone in the community here would mind doing one of these for me. I'm in Europe now.

Guess I have some stuff to think about.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm

You just barely missed Kite's Circuit shield. :(

MrErickson

Post by MrErickson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am

razormime wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Rodocop, thanks for the reply. That's really unfortunate to hear. I would love to do the work myself, only I don't have the tools as I'm away for university.

I definitely want a GBP model. But I am starting to get the feeling that communication with Galaxy Gaming is not the greatest. The website is not updated when it comes to the preorder status. I understand that there have been some issues that affected the last batch, but it would be nice to see the website reflect that.

Damn. So they don't really have a good reputation huh? I've been getting my hopes way up for a Gameboy Pocket. I wonder if anyone in the community here would mind doing one of these for me. I'm in Europe now.

Guess I have some stuff to think about.
Another option if you are hands on enough, you can still get Gaboze Pocaio blank boards from Ebay cheaply, you might even be able to order your own blanks but I don't know that for sure. I have the parts list for the R1 and R2 boards and you can populate the board yourself if you feel confident soldering tiny components. The youtube video i watched a while back looked on part with the PocketPi guide wermy did. I'd verify the parts are still available but from what I remember if was a fairly simple board that hooked up directly to GPIO pins for buttons. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the parts when I get home.

razormime

Post by razormime » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am

MrErickson wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am

Another option if you are hands on enough, you can still get Gaboze Pocaio blank boards from Ebay cheaply, you might even be able to order your own blanks but I don't know that for sure. I have the parts list for the R1 and R2 boards and you can populate the board yourself if you feel confident soldering tiny components. The youtube video i watched a while back looked on part with the PocketPi guide wermy did. I'd verify the parts are still available but from what I remember if was a fairly simple board that hooked up directly to GPIO pins for buttons. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the parts when I get home.
Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to do any of it except for the screws. I'm trying to reach out to Galaxy Gaming about what their future looks like. The Pocaio looks really cool. I'm starting to consider seeing if someone in this community wouldn't mind building one of these to and shipping it out to me. I have some cash set aside for the project already. I don't have any crazy requests like engraving or laser printing or anything, but since I'm new here I don't really know who is trustworthy or not. I don't really know much about the differences between the different boards and stuff, but because of how the Pocaio is put together, it looks like you could get a bigger battery inside?

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 pm

I personally used the same battery that galaxy gaming uses in mine. Just fit better for what I needed.

razormime

Post by razormime » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:02 pm

What game systems do you typically play? And how long does it last on average?

MrErickson

Post by MrErickson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:31 pm

My 3 boys have CS-lite builds running off of 3500mah batteries that fit nicely in the full size DMG battery compartment, they easy get 6+ hours of play time, I tend to recharge theirs more frequently as they are younger and less apt to pay attention to a shrinking green bar. It isnt an exact comparison but I wouldn't think it would vary massively. On their pi-zero powered systems they play NES, SNES, GB/GBC and Sega.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:43 am

I've never pushed mine to breaking personally, but I play NES, a few SNES, Atari, GB/GBC.