Help with Circuit Sword... from 2018!!

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
djascher

Help with Circuit Sword... from 2018!!

Post by djascher » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi guys,

So I need some help with my build, because I've just blown the mothballs off my project from 2018 (parts have been sitting around that long unbuilt).

I ordered my circuit sword from Kite back in March 2018. Since then, we added child #4 to the family and things got busy. But now that we are all in lockdown, its as good a time as any to finally build this.

But I have questions, that I hope the community can help with:

1. Have the circuit swords gone through iterations of design, or is the one I bought still the same as nowadays? Or where can I find the version of my CS? (if it helps to narrow it down, the preorder window was March 2018)

2. As far as I remember there was a GitHub page that had the case mod and CS setup / testing steps? I've been searching the forum for over an hour trying to find this link(s) with no luck... can someone please help.

3. Can anyone tell me if there have been some new wow gadgets and/or tech for these DMG builds in the past two years? My shopping list from 2018 was:
- CS from kite
- buttons and glass from retro modding and kitsch bent
- SNES bracket with brass inserts, slim pcb and power/mode bracket from hoolyhoo

4. What the f are the slim pcb and power/mode brackets?!?! I don't even remember what these are

Anyway, any help will be appreciated. I need to work out just what I even have.

And, PSA: never wait two years to build your GMZ like I did :)

djascher

Re: Help with Circuit Sword... from 2018!!

Post by djascher » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 pm

ok, one piece solved... fairly sure this is the slim pcb I bought:
https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=slim+pcb

sgtgrumbles

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 pm

I also finally got around to starting a CS build that I ordered in 2018 (revision v1.1E). You'll want to download the latest release from the GitHub page and follow the setup procedure documented on the wiki. Once you've got your device powered-on and have passed the initial tests, you'll likely want to update the microcontroller before continuing.

1. Yes, there have been several iterations. Luckily, I didn't find any hardware issues with my old CS so I can't say what has been changed. There is a known issue with v1.1E (perhaps other revisions) whereby bluetooth doesn't work. I believe this can be fixed with a combination hardware/software hack. I don't intend on using bluetooth controllers so I didn't attempt this fix.

If you're using the 640x480 display, you'll want to follow the instructions in the FAQ for bridging two solder pads on the CS ("BL BOOST"), updating the microcontroller, and using the correct /boot/config.txt settings.

If you're using the 320x240 display, you may want to update your /boot/config.txt timings using the numbers found in this thread.

2. The GitHub page documents the procedures for settings up the hardware/software but I don't believe it includes instructions for modding the case. I used the case-mod guide Kite published as a PDF several years ago for the SuperAIO. I'd be happy to upload that if you'd like it (I don't have it on this computer at the moment) -- PM me. Everything was straight forward with the exception of the small mode/button button board. The mode tactile button was too small and did not protrude far enough through the hole in the side of the case. I ended up replacing the tactile button with a longer one from Ebay. As for the back buttons, I used HoolyHoo's slim PCB L1/L2/R1/R2 back button board, which included some 3D-printed spacers as well.

3. I can't answer this, but FYI I had 3-4 different LCD/button brackets styles printed from 2018. None of the fit perfectly and I ended up using a knife, polystyrene, and hot glue to mod one as necessary. I found it disappointing that none of them "just worked". So, unless things have changed for the better, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. I melted M2 brass inserts into the plastic LCD bracket to function as screw posts, as is common.

4. Yep, what you found

djascher

Post by djascher » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you.