dexrech Battery help

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
djascher

dexrech Battery help

Post by djascher » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Posted elsewhere but not sure if it was seen

I bought all my kit (kite CS, dextech battery) back in 2018 and it's been sitting in storage waiting on my build, which I hope to start very soon.

My question concerns my dextech battery... in kite's CS instructions it says the following step:
3. Unplug the USB C cable then plug in the battery (WARNING: USING A CONNECTOR WITH THE WRONG PIN-OUT WILL BREAK THE CIRCUIT SWORD)

does the dextech have the correct connector? or does it's wire need cutting and soldering onto the CS?

rodocop

Re: dexrech Battery help

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 am

Have a look at kites board. It should be labelled with positive and negative for the battery connector. Inspect the dextech battery connector and make sure red matches with positive and black with negative.

You can also confirm with a multimeter on the battery. With the multimeter set to DC voltage, put the red probe on the red wire and the black on the black. If you get a positive reading the battery wire polarity is correct on the battery. If it's negative then it's opposite.

djascher

Post by djascher » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 am

rodocop wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 am
Have a look at kites board. It should be labelled with positive and negative for the battery connector. Inspect the dextech battery connector and make sure red matches with positive and black with negative.

You can also confirm with a multimeter on the battery. With the multimeter set to DC voltage, put the red probe on the red wire and the black on the black. If you get a positive reading the battery wire polarity is correct on the battery. If it's negative then it's opposite.
Will check with my multimeter. Does it need to be charged first? Because I threw away the solar charging housing two years ago :(

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Even if discharged it will still show some reading.

The main thing to worry about it that's the JST battery connector is matched with how the kite board wants it.

djascher

Post by djascher » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:11 pm

So I only realized today my multimeter has a combined ac/dc voltage testing mode, and I hadn’t pushed the button to put into dc mode. So, step one solved..

I tried to get a reading by shoving the tips of the probe leads into the JST connector but never got a reading. So I took a suggestion from the forum here, peeled back the blue cover of the battery, and probed from the wire solder points. Red wire to red wire, black to black. Saw the briefest flash to 3.something volts before the reading returned to 0. But, I guess that’s good enough to show that the battery works. Not sure why I couldn’t get a reading from the JST connector.. but I’m hoping that it’s just a case of the electrical connection being deeper than my probe leads can reach. Worst case, I need to solder or get a new cable. Anyone else have this when taking a reading?

Anyway, did I do everything right? Want to double check as I don’t want to destroy my CS and it’s been too long since I’ve done anything electrical. I’m not even sure, given how I aligned my leads, if red is positive and black ground, or vice versa. As I wrote, red probe cable to red wire solder point etc, and the reading was 3.something (not -3.something). So is everything ok?

I’m just waiting on new dmg buttons from retromodding.com to begin my build :)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Yeah. Should be good. As long as the positive and negative (red and black) of the battery match the kite board orientation. The JST can only plug in one orientation. So you'll be able to tell if the wires match.