Gameboy Advance Power Issues

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Concemi1

Gameboy Advance Power Issues

Post by Concemi1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm

Hi, everyone. I just recently got ahold of another gameboy advance that has been having power issues. I changed the power switch with a new one, but it is still having the same problem. It will only turn on after I take out the batteries and put them back in. I changed all of the capacitors and I also checked the fuse F1 and the resistor next to the power switch. All is fine with those parts. Is there anything that anyone can recommend me checking to help solve this problem? It looks like it might have a little water damage, as well. I have a hot air rework station and can remove chips if I have to.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks.

I also replaced the inductor coil. If that makes much of a difference.

Concemi1

Re: Gameboy Advance Power Issues

Post by Concemi1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:40 am

I figured out the problem if anyone else is having a similar one. It is the resistor R13 to the right of the power switch. If that is somehow faulty or bypassed in some way, it will not discharge the capacitors and will cause the gameboy to have an extended reset time of about 20 or so seconds. By replacing the resistor with a 150ohm resistor, I was able to fix the power issue that I was having and it now works good as new. I can cycle the power on and off with no delay and it works great.

Just thought I would share this if anyone else was having a similar problem.