Pi in a PSP

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Pi in a PSP

Post by Helder » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm

othermod wrote:@Helder
I did a complete redesign to knock the cost down, and I added the audio filter. Audio and USB connections are on the bottom so they can be soldered after the board is installed. I know that most of the USB connector is located off the board. That had to be done to get it into the right position. I downloaded and ran Oshpark's design rule and already corrected all the issues it found. I'm just hoping you can give this a quick look in case I missed something.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Also, I'm going to panelize it before I submit to oshpark.
So i had a look and only had 2 air wires unconnected and I fixed it and also uploaded it to github so it's easier for us to upload and make changes so it's easy for anyone to play with it. If you have github tell me your name on it and I'll add you to the user able to edit things.

https://github.com/Helder1981/PSP-Pi
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

othermod

Post by othermod » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:20 pm

@Helder
I should have turned off the other layers and checked the airwires. Thanks for looking at it.
I created a Github account with the name othermod

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm

othermod wrote:@Helder
I should have turned off the other layers and checked the airwires. Thanks for looking at it.
I created a Github account with the name othermod
No problems but when you hit the Ratnest button it will tell you in the lower left hand corner if anything is unwired or has errors.

Here is the link invite in case it doesn't show in github.

https://github.com/Helder1981/PSP-Pi/invitations

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

othermod

Post by othermod » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:07 pm

Helder wrote: No problems but when you hit the Ratnest button it will tell you in the lower left hand corner if anything is unwired or has errors.
@Helder
I didn't even notice that. It was right in my face too. :lol:

I've got three of the boards on order, so if you're looking to do this project I'm happy to send you one of them to you.

I'm switching gears back to the audio while I'm waiting for the board to arrive. I got the ferrites and they did make a small difference, but it wasn't quite enough. I'm about to try them in combination with the 220pF caps as recommended by the datasheet. I was also wondering whether stabilizing the 3v3 with a capacitor would eliminate some of the CPU/SD activity noise.

hardcorehead87

Post by hardcorehead87 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 am

My screen finally arrived and I got it working last night.
Next step would be wiring in the psp controls. I'll have a try at the PSPi v2 approach and see how that goes.
The all-in-one board looks very promising though. It'll definitely be a cleaner solution ;-).

In a future revision it would be cool to eliminate the screen driver board. Then it might even be possible to fit a Pi3.
At the moment though, the current project is a great solution for resolving some of the harder parts of this build.

Great job guys.

johnweland

Post by johnweland » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:29 am

in reference to Chedda mention of a Pi3 going in this thing. Its a tight squeeze but hot damn it would be killer! Hell at this point I'd be willing to buy a customer case so long as it all worked and came very close to the psp's size, shape and feel! My Pis display is out for delivery so I've gonna see what sort of mischief I can find. @othermod @helder... rock on you guys!

othermod

Post by othermod » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:50 am

hardcorehead87 wrote:My screen finally arrived and I got it working last night.
Next step would be wiring in the psp controls. I'll have a try at the PSPi v2 approach and see how that goes.
The all-in-one board looks very promising though. It'll definitely be a cleaner solution ;-).

In a future revision it would be cool to eliminate the screen driver board. Then it might even be possible to fit a Pi3.
At the moment though, the current project is a great solution for resolving some of the harder parts of this build.

Great job guys.
Someone contacted me saying they are working on schematics for a driver that can be integrated. If anything comes of it I'll include it in my design. If anyone out there has a broken pi 3 they want to send me, I'm happy to try fitting it.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:57 am

I don't have a broken one but they are 30 bucks locally. Desoldering kinda sucks on them. So much solder in places to make sure they don't go anywhere. Kind of annoying. You can also use an older pi if you have one. They are the same footprint in size.

You can shrink it down a smidge.

Builder and tinkerer

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm

othermod wrote:
hardcorehead87 wrote:My screen finally arrived and I got it working last night.

Great job guys.
Someone contacted me saying they are working on schematics for a driver that can be integrated. If anything comes of it I'll include it in my design. If anyone out there has a broken pi 3 they want to send me, I'm happy to try fitting it.
That info is all here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

I plan to look into it myself soon but the draw back is that it uses almost all GPIO pins except 3 I think so it leaves little room for GPIO pin scripts like the safe shutdown or much of anything beyond that.

othermod

Post by othermod » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm

He seemed to be talking about tapping into the HDMI signal in some way. I can't be sure though.

I would love to integrate something like this onto the board, and then use an FPC cable instead of an HDMI cable to save space.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3inch-HDMI-LC ... Sw0RpXlejo