Audio Problems

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
pogo

Audio Problems

Post by pogo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi all

I am trying to get the last piece of the puzzle complete, but just can't get decent audio.
I've wired the speaker, PAM8302A Amp and Headphone Jack like Wermy describes in his tutorial.
I tried passing the audio signal from Pin18 to the low pass filter, as well as hooking the amp directly to the Pi Pins.
When I load a game, I do get audio, but the volume is very low and I can't get it to satisfactory levels. Hooking up a pot for volume control didn't really have any effect, so I will need to revisit that. The sound just always stays at a low volume, no matter what I do.
I've also tried the little metal pot on the amplifier, but that didn't have any effect either, the volume just stays low.
My wiring looks like in this pic from Wermy:
http://sudomod.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... .27.35.jpg

The speaker is one from Adafruit (0.5W 8Ohm) and as mentioned above, the Adafruit PAM8302A module is used. The Headphone Jack is as removed from the original gameboy.

Is it possible that my speaker of the headphone jack is defective?
Anyone have any ideas what I could try to troubleshoot this issue? Or any other tips to track this down?

Thanks
Martin

CaptainDurden

Re: Audio Problems

Post by CaptainDurden » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:51 pm

okay, this might sound really stupid but have you tried turning the sound up in retropie?
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

pogo

Post by pogo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Ummm taht indeed sounds too easy.... but of course I haven't. I'm new to Raspberries (know my way around Arduino's) and Linux... I'll llook out where this is done in Retropie and report back.

Thanks for the idea.
Martin

pogo

Post by pogo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks Durden, increasing the volume in retropie fixed my issue.

Cheers!

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:17 pm

sometimes it really is the simplest of solutions..

you're welcome.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.