Screen help - 5V converted still has slow flicker

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
mike_louisxvi

Screen help - 5V converted still has slow flicker

Post by mike_louisxvi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am looking for help about my screen that I have converted to 5V (I presume I did the right thing, though I don't have much experience and just followed someones directions) that seems to have a slow flicker.

I have wired everything right, and the cables that were supplied with the board are connected to a USB that is connected to the wall via a 5v power supply. It seems like its almost flipping back and forth through the AV channels, and every once in a while I will see a blue flicker with "AV1" at the top. Any idea of what might be the issue? The screen is obviously not fried and seems to be bright and good, so I think it just has something to do with the wiring or communications within the board. Is there a way I can test this directly with the pi0? I am unclear about what i would wire the power ground and AV wire to on the pi. I don't know if testing through the pi would actually help anything either.

Heres an image of my board and the soldered wires. There isn't much info on this board, though one user posted the 5V jumper solution in another thread.
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 6746 times
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG (2.5 MiB) Viewed 6746 times

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

mike_louisxvi

Re: Screen help - 5V converted still has slow flicker

Post by mike_louisxvi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:33 pm

I am also only using the yellow cable, the white one isnt connected. I desoldered the white cable and it didnt seem to do anything. I noticed the pad where the white cable is currently soldered doesn't seem to do anything, as I tried soldering the yellow cable onto that pad and nothing came of that. It seems like this flicker might have something to do with the board and not the wires, but I really dont know.

TimBer

Post by TimBer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:56 pm

I have the same board.

I removed the 5 volt input from the original connection . So i am only powering the output of the regulator you soldered your red wire.

For me that did the trick.

Hope it helps.

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:18 pm

TimBer wrote:I have the same board.

I removed the 5 volt input from the original connection . So i am only powering the output of the regulator you soldered your red wire.

For me that did the trick.

Hope it helps.

Oh! So desolder the red wire from the initial point of contact? Did you use a jumper wire or just solder the original red wire to the regulator?
I'll definitely be trying this

TimBer

Post by TimBer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Yes,

I desoldered the original wire from the original point of contact and reused it to solder to the regulator.

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:44 pm

TimBer wrote:Yes,

I desoldered the original wire from the original point of contact and reused it to solder to the regulator.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was really starting to think this screen was a wash and it was seriously discouraging me. This totally worked!!

Really appreciate it! I wish I posted here a few days ago! :) :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :mrgreen:

TimBer

Post by TimBer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Your Welcome :-)