[Questions] I'm about the break stuff. Noob trying to build an GBA SP Emulator :)

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
ChrisBreaksStuff

[Questions] I'm about the break stuff. Noob trying to build an GBA SP Emulator :)

Post by ChrisBreaksStuff » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:21 pm

So, as the title says.. i'm about to break stuff. My GBA SP died and I need a replacement, so I thought.. why not build one myself?

First of.. I love the SP. Perfect size, ergonomics and looks.. thats why im trying to stuff a RPI Zero into this beauty..
Sounds good? I thought so.. but there's this one little thing in my way.. im a total noob.

While I do build my own PCs and so on, I have not made anything as close to hardware as this project. That leaves me with a lot of questions, I hope you guys may can answer :)

1. Screen Size: Whats the maximum size of a screen to throw in as a Display, without butchering the front of the SP? I thought about going with 3,5".
2. Ribbon Cables: Im currently waiting for my Screwdrivers, so I cant measure the internal dimensions. (I ordered them regardless of this project, if this wont work out, I'll try to fix my actual SP - Still, not what I really want to go for).. what screens can I order that can fit the ribbon cables into the lower part of the case (I dont want to destroy the upper shell to fit the board for the screen).. or has anyone experience with this screen? http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 5&cPath=28 It doesnt look to thick, could I possibly fit the PCB and the screen within the casing and connect it to the PI via the GPIO Pins? (Also, will I need specials drivers what so ever for having it work over the Pins?)
3. Button PCB: Im thinking about reusing the normal button PCB, that should work, if wired propperly, right? (I heard a Teensy board can help there in terms of configuration and stuff, would you recommand that?) - Otherwise, are there any fitting button pcbs out there? If nothing applies, how can I handle this problem propperly?
4. general recommendations: what are your experiences? anything you recommend? do's and dont's?

Yes, I might be crazy for instantly starting my project in an SP and no easier shell, but I love challenges, I got time and i'm patient. Lots of people already told me not to try it, but thats nothing I'll accept as an answer. Im a learning by doing type of person and I'll try until I either succeed or have to give up.

Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work you guys already did here, this forum is awesome to read and the projects that were already done are mindblowing. Sorry for my lack of propper english skills and all the butchered grammar in combination with my terrible spelling, but Im working on that as well, I promise ;)

sotasystems

Re: [Questions] I'm about the break stuff. Noob trying to build an GBA SP Emulator :)

Post by sotasystems » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:11 am

ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:First of.. I love the SP. Perfect size, ergonomics and looks.. thats why im trying to stuff a RPI Zero into this beauty..
Sounds good? I thought so.. but there's this one little thing in my way.. im a total noob.
Someone did something similar to what you are attempting. Take a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBGk25Vamk
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:1. Screen Size: Whats the maximum size of a screen to throw in as a Display, without butchering the front of the SP? I thought about going with 3,5".
3.5" has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and is too big to fit. Modifications to the case will have to be made if you actualy go for a 3.5" display. The GBA SP has an original aspect ratio of 3:2 and an actual size of 2,9" (4.08 cm x 6.12 cm). Finding an 2.9" screen with a controller is nearly impossible. The closest size you can go for is 2.8", although you will end up not using the screen area fully.
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:2. Ribbon Cables: Im currently waiting for my Screwdrivers, so I cant measure the internal dimensions. (I ordered them regardless of this project, if this wont work out, I'll try to fix my actual SP - Still, not what I really want to go for).. what screens can I order that can fit the ribbon cables into the lower part of the case (I dont want to destroy the upper shell to fit the board for the screen).. or has anyone experience with this screen? http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 5&cPath=28 It doesnt look to thick, could I possibly fit the PCB and the screen within the casing and connect it to the PI via the GPIO Pins? (Also, will I need specials drivers what so ever for having it work over the Pins?)
I don't personaly have experience with this screen, but the thickness seems OK, as the original screen for the GBA SP is already pretty thick. Again, the 3.5" will be a problem to fit without modifications.
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:3. Button PCB: Im thinking about reusing the normal button PCB, that should work, if wired propperly, right? (I heard a Teensy board can help there in terms of configuration and stuff, would you recommand that?)
Either reuse the normal PCB, or replace with tactile switches or with a perfboard with conductive rubber pads on top. As the in space in the GBA SP is already tight, it will be a challenge to fit the Pi, a battery, the powerboost, audio amp, and a teensy in there. In this case, it would be the best to skip the teensy altogether and wire the buttons directly over GPIO.
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote: - Otherwise, are there any fitting button pcbs out there? If nothing applies, how can I handle this problem propperly?
Sadly not (yet).

ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:Yes, I might be crazy for instantly starting my project in an SP and no easier shell, but I love challenges, I got time and i'm patient. Lots of people already told me not to try it, but thats nothing I'll accept as an answer. Im a learning by doing type of person and I'll try until I either succeed or have to give up.
Nonetheless, I am also excited to see what you will be doing, when you attempt it. I think that it's going to be a REALLY though challenge, but prove me wrong. ;)
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:Thanks in advance and keep up the awesome work you guys already did here, this forum is awesome to read and the projects that were already done are mindblowing.
Thank you very much, and I wish you good luck on yours, too!
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:Sorry for my lack of propper english skills and all the butchered grammar in combination with my terrible spelling, but Im working on that as well, I promise ;)
... :lol: is that a joke? Everything was OK so far, so don't worry ;)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

ChrisBreaksStuff

Re: [Questions] I'm about the break stuff. Noob trying to build an GBA SP Emulator :)

Post by ChrisBreaksStuff » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:44 pm

First of, thanks so much for your answer, helps me out a lot!
sotasystems wrote: 3.5" has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and is too big to fit. Modifications to the case will have to be made if you actualy go for a 3.5" display. The GBA SP has an original aspect ratio of 3:2 and an actual size of 2,9" (4.08 cm x 6.12 cm). Finding an 2.9" screen with a controller is nearly impossible. The closest size you can go for is 2.8", although you will end up not using the screen area fully.
I'll be on the lookout for a new screen then, I might find out and see if I can maybe redo this mod tho, if I cant find another good one. Image

Btw, whats better in terms of quality? Connecting via AV or GPIO?

3,5 Screen made to fit inside the casing by frostedfire..
Just to be sure tho, I could make the screen only display image within the visible areas using under/overscan, right?
sotasystems wrote: Either reuse the normal PCB, or replace with tactile switches or with a perfboard with conductive rubber pads on top. As the in space in the GBA SP is already tight, it will be a challenge to fit the Pi, a battery, the powerboost, audio amp, and a teensy in there. In this case, it would be the best to skip the teensy altogether and wire the buttons directly over GPIO.
I'll go with tactile switches and the GPIO way then :)
sotasystems wrote: Nonetheless, I am also excited to see what you will be doing, when you attempt it. I think that it's going to be a REALLY though challenge, but prove me wrong. ;)
It will be really though, will give it at least a try tho :)
sotasystems wrote: Thank you very much, and I wish you good luck on yours, too!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:29 pm

ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:First of, thanks so much for your answer, helps me out a lot!
I'll be on the lookout for a new screen then, I might find out and see if I can maybe redo this mod tho, if I cant find another good one. Image

3,5 Screen made to fit inside the casing by frostedfire..
Just to be sure tho, I could make the screen only display image within the visible areas using under/overscan, right?
Yeah, the controller in that one had to be modified quite a bit to fit, you see ;). Also, you don't see it in the picture, but the front probably has been heavily modified to make the screen fit and be fully visible. Though, if you actualy manage to fit in the screen without front modifications, you can actualy use over/underscan to crop the areas out which aren't visible anymore. This mostly only covers the emulationstation interface, though. You will probably also need to fiddle around with each emulator's image settings via the configuration tool then to make it work with games, too.
ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:Btw, whats better in terms of quality? Connecting via AV or GPIO?
It depends on what display you can get hold of. I had some GPIO screens which were kind of "lagging"/not at full 50-60 FPS display rate.
The 3.5" gearbest screen I use goes over composite AV and clocks with 60 Hz refresh rate and runs very smooth. There are some GPIO displays though, which are pretty good and even have a higher resolution, so just keep an eye out for them. If I had to make the decision what to take, I would probably go for the composite one, as I have great experience with those and they are going to be more than enough for this project, and also because I had not so great experience with GPIO displays when it comes to timing.

ChrisBreaksStuff wrote:I'll go with tactile switches and the GPIO way then :)
I'd recommend having a look at this guide.

Cheers ;),
Sota
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!