[Guide 02] Few controls don't work

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
AlexKidd2

[Guide 02] Few controls don't work

Post by AlexKidd2 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:41 am

Hi,

I have a problem... I do the tutorial N°2 (I sold the controls to the teensy, I program it with arduino), I verify with my multimeter that all connections are good and I put hot glue, but when I put the board in the game boy and I connect it to Snes9x on my computer few controls don't work (Left, Down, A & B). I don't understand, however all is good, no ?

I had this problem one week ago, so this morning I took off the glue and I soldered it again but I have still the same problem (and I damaged the PCB...). I think the problem come from the Game-Boy controls, no ? In fact I don't know what to do :( And maybe I will have to buy another Game-Boy (because the PCB damaged).

EDIT : I found that ( common ground dmg button pcb (A/B/X/Y version) ): http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/co ... -y-version
It could be easier, no ?

Kilren

Re: [Guide 02] Few controls don't work

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 7:47 am

AlexKidd2 wrote:I had this problem one week ago, so this morning I took off the glue and I soldered it again but I have still the same problem (and I damaged the PCB...). I think the problem come from the Game-Boy controls, no ? In fact I don't know what to do

EDIT : I found that ( common ground dmg button pcb (A/B/X/Y version) ): http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/co ... -y-version
It could be easier, no ?
That PCB will help you out, and because of it you don't have to buy a new DMG.

As for the buttons, there could be several reasons. Are you wiring to the GPIO or to a Teensy? Check your connection before you glue stuff into position. Double check that your silicone pads are installed and that your buttons are making contact with the board...

Also, take a picture and upload it here so we can see how and where you wired things (both from the PCB>GPIO or PCB>TEENSY>RPI0) so we can help troubleshoot and see potential problems.

AlexKidd2

Post by AlexKidd2 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 am

Kilren wrote:Are you wiring to the GPIO or to a Teensy?
A Teensy
Check your connection before you glue stuff into position.
I checked and it was great.
Double check that your silicone pads are installed and that your buttons are making contact with the board...
Thank you for this tip, I didn't do that and I will do the next time. I ordered a custom PCB because I damaged my actual DMG PCB, I think it will be 1000x easier !

Here a picture of my Teensy. I know the solders are ugly :(

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 am

AlexKidd2 wrote:
Kilren wrote:Are you wiring to the GPIO or to a Teensy?
A Teensy
Check your connection before you glue stuff into position.
I checked and it was great.
Double check that your silicone pads are installed and that your buttons are making contact with the board...
Thank you for this tip, I didn't do that and I will do the next time. I ordered a custom PCB because I damaged my actual DMG PCB, I think it will be 1000x easier !

Here a picture of my Teensy. I know the solders are ugly :(
A couple more tips. Make sure that you twist your wire ends so you don't have any frays. Touching wires will stop a connection and possibly even short out your board. Once twisted, prime them with solder before soldering to the board. It helps with soldering, wire fray, and makes it look cleaner.

Second tip for troubleshooting: open up a word pad and check to see if you have button input. Sometimes your emulator has the problem in software config. That'll check to see if it's software or hardware.

AlexKidd2

Post by AlexKidd2 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 am

Second tip for troubleshooting: open up a word pad and check to see if you have button input. Sometimes your emulator has the problem in software config. That'll check to see if it's software or hardware.
Thank you for the first tip. I saw it in the videos but I didn't do it when soldering to my teensy.
Connect the Teensy to a word pad ? What is a word pad, and how to do ?

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:48 am

AlexKidd2 wrote:
Thank you for the first tip. I saw it in the videos but I didn't do it when soldering to my teensy.
Connect the Teensy to a word pad ? What is a word pad, and how to do ?

Connect to a PC. If you have programmed as a keyboard you can type in wordpad or similar program

ijimbob

Post by ijimbob » Thu May 19, 2016 3:08 pm

All my buttons work, then my down will just stop intermittently, then it will start working again it's a strange one. I'm using a teensy.

ijimbob

Post by ijimbob » Thu May 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Think I've fixed it my left and up was touching each other up ha
ijimbob wrote:All my buttons work, then my down will just stop intermittently, then it will start working again it's a strange one. I'm using a teensy.

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:03 am

Im using a teensy and having trouble with my right and b buttons....

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri May 20, 2016 2:22 am

Robots86 wrote:Im using a teensy and having trouble with my right and b buttons....
After or before the teensy?