USB Hub to Pi Zero Wiring

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
AcroGod

USB Hub to Pi Zero Wiring

Post by AcroGod » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Newbie here working on my first GBZ and I have a question about the wire position when connecting the USB hub to the pi zero.

Should the output to the Pi Zero be the same color order as the input to the USB hub when soldering?
i.e. Red / White / Green / Black to Red / White / Green / Black or, should the green and white data wires be swapped on one side, (like a Ethernet crossover cable) for data transfer?

I only ask because on the usb hub I'm trying to use, the green and white wires were switched before I desoldered the old Male plug from the PCB so they were different than the standard Red / White / Green / Black layout.

I was having issues with the Teensy/gb buttons not being recognized when plugged into the hub but my Ipad would recognized the power when connected to the hub. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Acrogod

Lphillimore

Re: USB Hub to Pi Zero Wiring

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 am

AcroGod wrote:Newbie here working on my first GBZ and I have a question about the wire position when connecting the USB hub to the pi zero.

Should the output to the Pi Zero be the same color order as the input to the USB hub when soldering?
i.e. Red / White / Green / Black to Red / White / Green / Black or, should the green and white data wires be swapped on one side, (like a Ethernet crossover cable) for data transfer?

I only ask because on the usb hub I'm trying to use, the green and white wires were switched before I desoldered the old Male plug from the PCB so they were different than the standard Red / White / Green / Black layout.

I was having issues with the Teensy/gb buttons not being recognized when plugged into the hub but my Ipad would recognized the power when connected to the hub. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Acrogod

Not heard of the wiring being switched before however I always take photos of the wiring beforehand (i.e on the HUB) so I know what wire goes where.

It's feasible that the wiring between the PI and the HUB could be different I guess.

So long as you wire the USB data wires on the Pi as per diagrams and re-wire the HUB as it was you should be fine.

Also, not sure if I'm reading your post right but the PI and Hub should be connected by data wires ONLY.

Wiring should be as follows:

Pi Zero Pads 22 (-) and 23 (+) (data) wire to the input data pads / terminals on the USB HUB. (where male lead attached to HUB)

The Pi Zero gets its power from the PowerBoost either directly or via Power Board.

USB HUB is also powered directly from PowerBoost or the Power Board and NOT from the Pi itself.