Audio not working right.

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
firestw152

Audio not working right.

Post by firestw152 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:22 pm

So I am trying to build my own gameboy pi and the sound is driving me insane.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... swbG5sd0lR

That is the circuit that I am currently trying to do the headphones work great. But the speakers are extremely quiet that you can barely hear them. If I try adding ground to the A- port the speaker gets loud but if I connect headphones the speakers don't completely cut out they just get really low and distorted sounding really bad. I am using recal box too if that helps.

So without the ground on A- on the amp my headphones work perfectly fine and the speaker is extremely low. With the ground headphones also work fine fine but when plugged in the speaker does not cut out completely and has an awful distortion and gets low.

The speakers are plugged into the top of the amp where it says 4-8ohms and + and -. Any help would be appreciated.

Pirate

Re: Audio not working right.

Post by Pirate » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:59 am

Pam8403 that might be the solution that you're looking for

firestw152

Post by firestw152 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am

Pirate wrote:Pam8403 that might be the solution that you're looking for
Can you explain more on this? I actually have a few of those but I thought the adafruit one would be better.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am

firestw152 wrote:So I am trying to build my own gameboy pi and the sound is driving me insane.

That is the circuit that I am currently trying to do the headphones work great. But the speakers are extremely quiet that you can barely hear them. If I try adding ground to the A- port the speaker gets loud but if I connect headphones the speakers don't completely cut out they just get really low and distorted sounding really bad. I am using recal box too if that helps.

So without the ground on A- on the amp my headphones work perfectly fine and the speaker is extremely low. With the ground headphones also work fine fine but when plugged in the speaker does not cut out completely and has an awful distortion and gets low.

The speakers are plugged into the top of the amp where it says 4-8ohms and + and -. Any help would be appreciated.

Where did you get that schematic? Was it something you made yourself or is it something someone gave to you?

A few things I'm noticing about it:
-You don't have anything connected to the A- pin on the adafruit board
-Nothing is connected to the SD pin on the board. You probably want to connect this to Vin to make it be always on
-The adafruit board looks like it already has series capacitors in line with the inputs. So the 10uF capacitor you have is redundant. Might be worth utilizing the switching ability of the headphone jack to drive the SD pin on the board. This way you can potentially bypass that extra 10uF cap. Try this last though...

firestw152

Post by firestw152 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 am

codeman0624 wrote:
firestw152 wrote:So I am trying to build my own gameboy pi and the sound is driving me insane.

Where did you get that schematic? Was it something you made yourself or is it something someone gave to you?

A few things I'm noticing about it:
-You don't have anything connected to the A- pin on the adafruit board
-Nothing is connected to the SD pin on the board. You probably want to connect this to Vin to make it be always on
-The adafruit board looks like it already has series capacitors in line with the inputs. So the 10uF capacitor you have is redundant. Might be worth utilizing the switching ability of the headphone jack to drive the SD pin on the board. This way you can potentially bypass that extra 10uF cap. Try this last though...

I posted why I don't have anything on the A- pin on the board. I got the schematic from thingiverse but I can't find the post now.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am

firestw152 wrote: I posted why I don't have anything on the A- pin on the board. I got the schematic from thingiverse but I can't find the post now.
Sorry, I went straight to the schematic before reading your whole post :?

I believe this is the picture that was used for the diagram:
https://www.miata.net/garage/external_a ... age006.jpg
Knowing this is helpful to know what the pins are doing on the inside.

You definitely need to ground the A- pin. The amplifier is differential, so it needs a known value on both inputs.

So you have pins 2 and 5 both connected together coming from your potentiometer, and pins 4 and 3 also connected together going to the A+ terminal?

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 am

firestw152 wrote:
Can you explain more on this? I actually have a few of those but I thought the adafruit one would be better.
You should look into buying a pam8403 board they are efficient if you want something louder than your current audio board.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/1084746 ... e#autostay

firestw152

Post by firestw152 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 am

Pirate wrote:
firestw152 wrote:
You should look into buying a pam8403 board they are very loud if you want something louder than your current audio board.
Do you have a diagram on how I would wire it with a headphone jack and speakers?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... hIU0pRa1ZB

Would it look like this?

firestw152

Post by firestw152 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:35 pm

codeman0624 wrote:
firestw152 wrote: I posted why I don't have anything on the A- pin on the board. I got the schematic from thingiverse but I can't find the post now.
Sorry, I went straight to the schematic before reading your whole post :?

I believe this is the picture that was used for the diagram:
https://www.miata.net/garage/external_a ... age006.jpg
Knowing this is helpful to know what the pins are doing on the inside.

You definitely need to ground the A- pin. The amplifier is differential, so it needs a known value on both inputs.

So you have pins 2 and 5 both connected together coming from your potentiometer, and pins 4 and 3 also connected together going to the A+ terminal?

Hey I did something different and grounded the A- to the - on the speaker output on the top so now it is working great except I have this audio static in the speakers even when nothing is playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tLgG2bJEoI

What do you think it could be?