Upcoming Project w/custom hardwood/plexi case

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
negrete35

Upcoming Project w/custom hardwood/plexi case

Post by negrete35 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello all! So happy I found this forum. So many people making these awesome little gadgets.

I have been scoping out all these projects for a little while now. Watching builds on YouTube over and over for the better part of a year now. Just dreaming about building one. I think I have finally decided to pull the trigger and start buying the pieces and parts.

I have next to no experience whatsoever. I bought a pi 2 and installed retropie and slapped it into a case and enjoyed for a while until my nephews came and just had to have it. So I sent it home with them.

So, I think I pretty much have the shopping list down:

Pi zero
Backup cam monitor
Powerboost
Teensy (question on this in a moment)
10k thumb wheel
Speaker
Headphone jack
Audio amp?
PWM audio filter?
USB SNES controller to tear apart and use
Some perfect board

Not really knowing anything about programming and whatnot, lol. I was curious about the teensy. There seems to be some fairly cheap alternatives. Are they any good? harder to program?

I almost jumped on the second round of Kites AIO, but I didn't want to use the DMG case. And really didn't want to wait a couple months. Haha.

Thanks in advance!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming Project w/custom hardwood/plexi case

Post by wermy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Welcome!
The Teensy is just an arduino-compatible board. There are plenty of alternatives that are functionally identical, the Teensy is just what I had on hand when I did my original builds so it's what I used. If you're doing a custom case then you may be able to position your Pi and buttons such that you could use GPIO button input and eliminate the teensy/arduino altogether. It takes a little software setup but isn't bad - look up Adafruit's RetroGame library, they use it in a few of their projects.

Your topic title certainly has me looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
ImageImageImageImage

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 pm

negrete35 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm
I was curious about the teensy. There seems to be some fairly cheap alternatives. Are they any good? harder to program?
You have to be careful with the really cheap arduino boards. Most of the really cheap ones have ATmega328p chips, which don't really work well for this purpose. It's *much* harder (impossible?) to program them to use as a controller.

If you go the Arduino route, make sure your board has an ATmega32U4, as they're much easier to turn into a controller. That means looking for Leonardo or Pro Micro clones, not Pro Mini.

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 pm

wermy wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm
If you're doing a custom case then you may be able to position your Pi and buttons such that you could use GPIO button input and eliminate the teensy/arduino altogether. It takes a little software setup but isn't bad - look up Adafruit's RetroGame library, they use it in a few of their projects.
I think I would like to piggyback off your hard work with the teensy project you put together. Thank you. Will this work for it?

Wangdd22 Pro Micro for Arduino ATmega32U4 5V/16MHz Module with 2 Row Pin Header and Micro Usb Cable for Leonardo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LPFLVKG/re ... 5ybWQCVBF2

I was curious, can I create the conductive pads on perf board to work under these?

HONBAY Replacement Parts All Set Of Key Pad Button Pad Conductive Buttons Kit for Playstation 4 PS4 Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CHXYZ08/re ... 5yb93QMRH5

Thanks!

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=26625#p26625

Well that ^ is amazing but a bit deflating.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm

negrete35 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Yep, that build is pretty amazing. Hope it doesn't discourage you from doing your own thing though!
ImageImageImageImage

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 am

wermy wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm
negrete35 wrote:

Yep, that build is pretty amazing. Hope it doesn't discourage you from doing your own thing though!
Nah. I'm gonna do my thing.

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 pm

wermy wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm
negrete35 wrote:

Hey! Just a quick question when you get a chance. I have been looking and cant find an answer. Maybe I am not looking the right way.

I just ordered about 90% of the parts I want to use in my project and about 90% of that will be here tomorrow (yay!)

Safe Shutdown: I dont know much about this. I tried to do a quick search here, but I just find either talk about how its needed and talk about ordering a safe shutdown module. Which I will probably end up doing, if there isnt a DIY method. When I had a retropie P2 used on my TV, I just unplugged it. Through my little bit of research, I realized I probably shouldnt be doing that. haha. Is there a way to shut it down from the program, prior to just disconnecting the power?

Audio filter: I know you showed one on your tutorial and I am sure I could find all the parts at a cool little mom and pop electronics store here in my home town, but is it REQUIRED, or just helps with sound quality.

I really want to get a good jump on this project, but be patient if I MUST. haha

Thanks!

GB3

Post by GB3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Hey Negrete, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here is the link to a (very) diy safe shutdown button.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple- ... wn-Button/

Hope this helps you out!

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:55 pm

GB3 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm
Hey Negrete, not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here is the link to a (very) diy safe shutdown button.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple- ... wn-Button/

Hope this helps you out!
Thank you! I did see this. Just couldn't see how to incorporate into my handheld pi zero build. But definitely not off the table.