GPIO was button

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Fatelvis1

GPIO was button

Post by Fatelvis1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 am

This may be somewhere else and I have read a couple of guides but to be honest they seem a little complicated.

I have recently built a mini arcade cabinet with which all the installed emulators use the traditional arcade stick and buttons as controls. I have linkwe these up using a usb converter board. I now want to add a separate button on the side of the cabinet to act as a keyboard escape key as a way to exit back to ES from any emulator. Is there a simply way to get this button to work??

Any help is appreciated.

fraggle

Re: GPIO was button

Post by fraggle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 pm

You would need to give a little more information to help you - but it should be fairly trivial - what hardware are you using e.g. Raspberry PI, Teensy, etc?

The basic idea is that you would just wire up a button with two wires one to its signal pin and the other to its ground pin.
The signal wire would then go to spare GPIO pin on your controller (pi, teensy, etc) and the other to ground.
Finally you would just need some code to check for the signal (button press) and to send the correct key.

It is really very straight forward - if you can give some more info on your setup I'd be happy to give you some specific instructions.

Hope that helps.