type of solder. having trouble soldering to traces

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
skrapps914

type of solder. having trouble soldering to traces

Post by skrapps914 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:47 pm

is there a specific type of solder that should be used? im having trouble getting the solder to stick to traces. instead, it just balls up onto the tip of the iron.

Racerboy

Re: type of solder. having trouble soldering to traces

Post by Racerboy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Usually if it forms a ball on your iron and slides off easily, your iron is too hot. Furthermore you might not be soldering on a friendly surface, try filing down the contact area before attempting to solder. Use some flux paste if you have it too, it helps to transfer a good amount of heat to the work piece. And you should be using electrical, rosin/flux core solder of course :D

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Racerboy wrote:Usually if it forms a ball on your iron and slides off easily, your iron is too hot. Furthermore you might not be soldering on a friendly surface, try filing down the contact area before attempting to solder. Use some flux paste if you have it too, it helps to transfer a good amount of heat to the work piece. And you should be using electrical, rosin/flux core solder of course :D

thanks for your reply! it seems im using the correct type of solder. i may have to get some flux.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:07 am

Dirty tips are notorious for bad transfers also. Both with heat and with solder.

Once in a while, take a spinning wire brush on your dremel to the soldering iron tip until you see bare metal again. Tin your tip over again, and start fresh. You'll be amazed how fast your soldering iron heats up and how easy soldering is with a fresh tip again.

Both 60/40 and 63/37 is going to work fine, just make sure it is rosin core and absolutely not acid. Diameter .03 is real common and will do you well enough for this project. As mentioned before, make sure you get some rosin paste. It helps significantly, especially with stubborn areas.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:57 am

Also get some flux like in a Flux Pen and put it on the board traces then solder the traces, it will stick very easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Kester-951-Solder ... B004X4KOWS
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.