Troubleshoot why certain keys don't repond

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Thatbraziliann

Troubleshoot why certain keys don't repond

Post by Thatbraziliann » Sun May 08, 2016 4:35 pm

SO I finally got done with step two to realize most of my keys arent responding. (the only keys that are working are right, A, X and Y)

I checked the continuity of all keys before soldering to teensy and they all worked. All buttons press down over the correct spot.

maybe I soldered onto teensy Wrong? Which is weird because I think some of the best looking wires are the ones that aren't responding.?

Any advice?

I opened Up word to test out all the keys as they would just be letters.

Here are pics of my Teensy

Should I run Teensy installer Again? I had to errors compiling the first time and I restarted everything and re did it when I finally uploaded to Teensy.

Thijs852

Re: Troubleshoot why certain keys don't repond

Post by Thijs852 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Do you have a multimeter? If so use it to check all the connections. If all connections are goes you can check off the phissical connection. If they are not okay the problem is probably in the connections. Good luck!

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Sun May 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Your Teensy solder looks correct, I'd like to see the board solder though. My guess is your ground bridges are not solid enough.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm

So, I had the same problem with my D-pad buttons.

It ended up being my soldering on the board was all jacked. When you test continuity, did you get Zero on on side of the board and for ground you should get something above 1.

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Hmmm, I actually have the exact same buttons working/not working.

Let me know what you figure out!

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

@dirtybeagles,
When you test continuity, did you get Zero on on side of the board and for ground you should get something above 1.
Could you elaborate on that a bit more? What do you mean 'on side of board and for ground'? I'm currently getting a continuity 'beep' when I connect the probes on a pbc pad and its respective slot soldered in the Teensy for every button except start and select (not sure why that is yet)

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Sun May 08, 2016 11:52 pm

ktechelonbreak wrote:Your Teensy solder looks correct, I'd like to see the board solder though. My guess is your ground bridges are not solid enough.
Ill post a Pic tomorrow morning of all the bridges and let me know what you think brotha.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Sun May 08, 2016 11:54 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:So, I had the same problem with my D-pad buttons.

It ended up being my soldering on the board was all jacked. When you test continuity, did you get Zero on on side of the board and for ground you should get something above 1.
I dont believe it ever went down to zero but I would always get low numbers like 038 076 stuff like that.. How would I test the ground?
That is something I definitely didn't do.

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Mon May 09, 2016 12:11 am

Continuity check the pads to the Teensy is the best way to make sure a connection is established. Just find your solder point and trace it back to the appropriate pad, do it for each one that isn't working. From the looks of it, the bottom left ground might not be bridged although it doesn't explain why the UP button is not working..

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon May 09, 2016 8:17 am

Does this picture help?
Screenshot_2016-05-09-10-01-03.png
Screenshot_2016-05-09-10-01-03.png (1005.45 KiB) Viewed 8021 times
The connection running to the tracer you connected to your teency should read less than 1.0. The other connection to your board should read greater than 1.0.

If you have a bad connection on your multimeter, then you WILL NOT get two different readings on your board (the up, down, left, right inputs) and you may get the same reading on both contacts, the input going to your teency and the ground connection which means you have a bad connection.