Possible broken Screen? Any way to test it?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
ChrisBreaksStuff

Possible broken Screen? Any way to test it?

Post by ChrisBreaksStuff » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 am

Heya.

I finished prepping my SPI Screen for my upcoming project, but while doing so I discovered that there is a piece of glas broken out, right behind the LEDs that I think are responsible for the background lighting. Im not sure if I caused that damage while removing parts of the white boarder around the screen or if I received it like that, since the part is covered under black tape. I didnt find any broken of pieces at my workbench at least, so I assume it happened during production/packing or some other stage, but who knows..

Here are pictures of the damage:

As you can see, its only a small part that broke of and its located before the actual screen beginns, hence my asumption that its part of the backlight, since this seems to be an Edge-Lit Screen.

Should I expect it to be dead? Any way to test? I dont have the SPI Adapter needed for it yet, so im not sure how to test it..
Any way to test the backlight only?

Its a 3.2" 18-PIN SPI Screen with the ILI9341 Driver.

rodocop

Re: Possible broken Screen? Any way to test it?

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 pm

i'm sure it's probably fine, only way to test would be to get an adapter board, or solder wires directly to the ribbon connector. just need to find the proper ones on the ribbon. Can't help you there though, i don't have a screen on hand to check with pins on the ribbon belong to what.