Powering USB controller from 3.7V

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Dawilson123

Powering USB controller from 3.7V

Post by Dawilson123 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi,

I've got a query for a new build.

I'm intending to power a USB Xbox controller from the pi zero, which itself will be powered from a 3.7V 1350mAh lipo battery. I.e. will the controller work with only 3.7V?

The rumble packs have been removed so its only the controller buttons and circuitry left which should be (to my mind anyway) relatively low power.

Basically I want to know whether I need a step up converter to step up the 3.7V to 5V to power the USB controller or whether I can get away with not having to do this.

I know from my mintypi build that the pi zero can be powered from 3.7V.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dawilson123

Re: Powering USB controller from 3.7V

Post by Dawilson123 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 pm

To answer my own question, I tested it and yes, you need a 3.7 to 5V step up.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 am

Odd since the controller works off of 2 AA batteries which at best is 3v and lower, so maybe you wired it wrong or the controller has a boost circuit.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Dawilson123

Post by Dawilson123 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 am
Odd since the controller works off of 2 AA batteries which at best is 3v and lower, so maybe you wired it wrong or the controller has a boost circuit.
Ah, I better check the wiring! Thanks for the info.

Also this is a USB repo controller, not a genuine Nintendo controller. Sorry, should have made that clear in my OP.

It's this actual one...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2909359906

Not sure if that makes a difference (it would usually be powered through the USB and not batteries).

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Nintenedo? you mean Xbox. That is the wired version and it might require 5v but to be honest not sure since the wireless one is likely running at lower voltages than 5v unless it is boosting it but I don't know unless I actually see the pcb but not worth the effort since you are using the wired model.

Got pictures of the pcb before you modded it? looking to see what components are on it.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Dawilson123

Post by Dawilson123 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm
Nintenedo? you mean Xbox. That is the wired version and it might require 5v but to be honest not sure since the wireless one is likely running at lower voltages than 5v unless it is boosting it but I don't know unless I actually see the pcb but not worth the effort since you are using the wired model.

Got pictures of the pcb before you modded it? looking to see what components are on it.
Oops, it's an Xbox not Nintendo. Unfortunately, I could only find a photo of the back side of the pcb which won't be much use!

Dawilson123

Post by Dawilson123 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:05 am

I can't find the exact same pcb from a Google search however this one is close (ignore the scribbles).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10078215@N07/2083880535

Mine just doesn't have the port at the bottom of the controller.