Power boost/charger wiring

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
gargoyle67

Re: Power boost/charger wiring

Post by gargoyle67 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:08 am

I only paid £2.19 each for my boards so I'm not really worried if I have to buy the Adafruit one :) I just wish someone would do a detailed wiring of this alternative board.....

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:13 am

I am not a 100% sure, as i am not that far because of lack of time, but i think you can just wire an appropriate switch between the V+ of the Battery and the Power Supply and then mount it where the original one was.

gargoyle67

Post by gargoyle67 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 am

So the wiring of switch battery would be something like this below, But instead of the 2 pin connector in the pic it would connect to the booster board's battery + and - , Then you would connect ground and positive from the 5v output from the power booster to the project board and power what you need.

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Nope that's not a good idea, you will be able to charge the battery ONLY when the gameboy is on... Though you won't since the chip on it is not meant to do that...
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Oxodao wrote:Nope that's not a good idea, you will be able to charge the battery ONLY when the gameboy is on... Though you won't since the chip on it is not meant to do that...
According to the specs.... It IS
This PCB also support charging the battery, simply supply a 5V micro USB source to the charging input and it will charge the connected battery to 4.2V.
as to be found here:
http://m.banggood.com/37V-Liion-Battery ... 37201311DI
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 pm

In this case, my bad. The best way to do that is to find out which part is the 5v booster and which one is the charger. Cut the trace between the battery and the boost and add a switch or any other way to handle the on/off and you're good to go
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

gargoyle67

Post by gargoyle67 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Oxodao wrote:In this case, my bad. The best way to do that is to find out which part is the 5v booster and which one is the charger. Cut the trace between the battery and the boost and add a switch or any other way to handle the on/off and you're good to go
mmm I'll prob see if someone else does the cut trace/switch thing as I wouldn't have a clue where the 5v to charger trace is and I wouldn't want to screw it up :oops: Other option is to not put the switch on the battery side at all and just take the hit of small battery drain like mentioned on this thread>
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=651

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Yeah I know, I will order one when I can though this will be long so meanwhile I suggest you take a look at it

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Put a switch between battery+ and power board doesn't worked.
During first use first connect input (mini USB) to a 5V source prior to connecting any battery. .
So each time you shut down then turn up the battery, you need to have the power board on charge.

There is a 180uA current when nothing is using 5v output.

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Nosfay wrote:Put a switch between battery+ and power board doesn't worked.
During first use first connect input (mini USB) to a 5V source prior to connecting any battery. .
So each time you shut down then turn up the battery, you need to have the power board on charge.

There is a 180uA current when nothing is using 5v output.
Inb4
Oxodao wrote:Nope that's not a good idea, you will be able to charge the battery ONLY when the gameboy is on...
180uA is pretty insane IMO so the best bet would be to cut the trace linking to the step up converter and replacing it by a switch... Easier said than done I know

EDIT: Ooops I thought it was mA haha so no that is correct you can let is as is I think