Updating Retropie ok to do? Retroarch SNES video bugs

Software-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized software categories go here.
gizmo

Updating Retropie ok to do? Retroarch SNES video bugs

Post by gizmo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:30 am

I've been doing a LOT of reading up on video settings, trying to understand how to set SNES emulation up properly on my aio from kite. Megadrive works flawlessly out of the gates due (I'm guessing) to its base resolution.

I've finally found the SNES settings that work best for me. Which is setting the Aspect Ratio to 1:1 PAR (8.7 DAR) and turning ON Integer Scale. This results in a beautiful crisp and non distorted display. There's whole discussion to be had regarding the SNES's display vs 4:3 crt etc, but because of the LCD being used, I just want a non pixel stretched display, which the above settings give me. :)

However, for some reason Super Mario World seems to exist in a world of its own... :roll: Using my settings it still displays in a slightly distorted manner. I've managed to fix it, but there's a hitch! The fix is that I have to turn OFF Integer Scale, set the aspect ratio to 'Custom' set the resolution to 512x478 and finally center the x axis. This gives the expected result I have with all the other titles I've tried. The hitch is that trying to save the game settings (via Save Game Overrides) is impossible due to the Integer Scale refusing to save!? I've looked this up and it appears it might be due to a bug in Retroarch and since the version in Kite's build is quite old (1.6.7) I'm hoping that updating Retropie will solve this?

Can anyone tell me if the latest version of Retropie also updates Retroarch? And if this is safe to do when using kite's aio? I know he's got a file somewhere which enables safe shut down and mode button functions, so I don't want to lose them. I was just going to execute the Basic Install setting in Retropie Setup.

Any advice greatly appreciated.