Pi zero w random crashes

Software-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized software categories go here.
rcbadiale

Pi zero w random crashes

Post by rcbadiale » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:00 pm

I bought a null2 kit, built it and flashed the provided image.

I am having problems with the software and I don't know how to get a good log for this.

What happens is sometimes the system randomly crashes, on emulation station or in any game/system, and I can't access SSH or nothing. On other times the system is ok, but the games are crashing and that's it.

I tried to check the logs from games running with verbose on '/dev/shm/runcommand.log' and there's almost no information on it, besides the loadings and savings.

I tried running games through RetroArch without emulation station and it seems to be better. Games would still randomly crash, but the system wouldn't.

I tried flashing a clean raspbian and installing everything manually, I also tried flashing a retropie image (not from null2) and, in both cases, I failed miserably, emulation station would simply crash after a few minutes.

Is there anyway to get better logs on retropie? I couldn't find anything on google.

And do you guys have any recommendations on what I should try next? Because I'm running out of ideas.

sgtgrumbles

Re: Pi zero w random crashes

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Unless there's a physical problem with your build (e.g., low voltage, bad soldering, bad components) your problem likely require debugging the emulation software and/or operating system. Start in the system's logs and look for errors or odd messages in general (google "journalctl" command). You'll need to be somewhat command-line savvy to troubleshoot. If there's nothing worrisome in there, try running the processes manually on the command-line and see if they still crash. Run "top -c" while this is happening and monitor system stats.

Best of luck