Gameboy Advance SP Bad Switch/Fuse?

Get help with products you purchased from forum members here!
demodummy

Gameboy Advance SP Bad Switch/Fuse?

Post by demodummy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi guys!

Not sure if any of you have any experience repairing Gameboy SPs, but I'm looking around for support anywhere I can.

I recently purchased a AGS-101 Gameboy SP from ebay. It worked fine, except for one little detail in which case the battery light would flicker from green to red, unless pressure was applied in certain areas. The light would switch back to green for a few moments, then flicker again. I would repeat the procedure of pressing down in certain areas, until the light stayed green again. The unit did not reset, but I was afraid that something like that could lead to further complications.

I took to google and started looking for remedies. Many stated that the power switch probably needed to be cleaned. So I followed the instructions, which were pretty straight forward, closed it back up, flipped the switch and... no power...wait... what??? Like nothing, no screen flicker and lights turning on. Nada.

I plugged in the charger just to see if it was working, the charge light briefly flashed on before shutting off again (most likely due to me charging it to full capacity the night before). If the switch is in the on position, and I plugged the charger in, the screen would flash for a split second of white before turning completely off again.

I've deduced that it could be a blown fuse, but at the moment, my multimeter is broken, so I'll have to get a new one. Or maybe it still is the switch, but since it was working before, it's hard to assume that this is the issue, unless I messed up during my cleaning process, but I didn't do anything tricky aside from going at it with a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol.

Anyway, has anyone here had any experience with this? I know this might not be the place, but I figure I'd ask. If so, are there any insights you can share?

Thanks guys!

demodummy

Re: Gameboy Advance SP Bad Switch/Fuse?

Post by demodummy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Nevermind! Turns out the battery contacts weren't touching all that great. I did a reseat on the battery and boom! Turns right back on. Might need a new battery regardless though.

Thanks y'all!