Share your workspace!

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
joe7dust

Re: Share your workspace!

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:44 am

Ganreizu wrote:
joe7dust wrote: Instead of those machines they currently use for immersive VR with the rolling surface to walk on in any direction, just have a ring or perhaps even a semi-sphere (hemi-sphere?) of displays that could even be curved themselves. Then the ring rotates and spins to simulate movement.
Sounds more expensive than what VR currently does to be honest. More materials, more intensive shipping/handling, more complicated install, arguably inferior immersion, no portability, potentially more computing power needed to output to a larger display. :/ I think it would be really really impressive looking, just not very practical compared to the smaller units.
The few systems I've seen with the rolling bars/mat to walk on are equally complex aside from the mechanics/hydraulics that would be needed for the display harness.

The part I agree with is that is might not be as immersive. It is hard for me to picture how they would compare to each other exactly, but I think both implementations might have their niches. It sure would make a decent backdrop/background layer for something like google glass. You could simulate augmented reality games without having to leave the house too. :D

edit: example, you could have the sphere linked to your "physical location" in some secure, non-spoofable fashion that denotes what is supposed to be your gps coordinates. Then you travel around as usual collecting Pokemon or whatever. DLC upgrade for a faster car for $49.99 :)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 am

joe7dust wrote:It sure would make a decent backdrop/background layer for something like google glass. You could simulate augmented reality games without having to leave the house too. :D
That's a really interesting point i haven't seen made before actually. Using double layer augmented reality sounds really sick for immersion.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am

Ganreizu wrote:
joe7dust wrote:It sure would make a decent backdrop/background layer for something like google glass. You could simulate augmented reality games without having to leave the house too. :D
That's a really interesting point i haven't seen made before actually. Using double layer augmented reality sounds really sick for immersion.
I think there is a lot to be said for the games that are actually herding people around the globe, you definitely miss out on a major "feature" haha, but it just sounds neat for an immersive virtual presence. It could also be used or combined with Microsoft's new research, the holo projection thing.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:17 am

joe7dust wrote:It could also be used or combined with Microsoft's new research, the holo projection thing.
Good catch, it absolutely can improve that experience. Not completely necessary but a nice addon for sure.

Lanceomni

Post by Lanceomni » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:30 am

I'm with Ganreizu. These aren't powered by 1 computer. I have 5 computers and 2 servers outputing to different screens. I use synergy to use 1 keyboard and mouse. This lets me test web and app development projects in 7 different OSes, horizontal and vertical monitor arrangements and variable resolutions up to 4k. Getting it to run as a viable VR setup would be a giant pain. But if you got the time and money - go for it! :D

Lanceomni

Post by Lanceomni » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:32 am

Good point on the backdrop - that would be amazing.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 am

Lanceomni wrote:I'm with Ganreizu.
joe7dust wrote: I think both implementations might have their niches.

No argument here.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Lanceomni wrote:I use synergy to use 1 keyboard and mouse. This lets me test web and app development projects in 7 different OSes
Woahhh i had no idea synergy could do that. From using it i could tell it was perfect but i didn't think it was THAT good.

Lanceomni

Post by Lanceomni » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah - it is worth it's weight in gold. With a little bit of tweaking of percentages (for screen sizes) you can get all the screens to line up perfectly. So as I start on the first monitor on the left and scroll right to the last monitor the mouse stays in a perfect line. Really allows for use of cheaper systems grouped together. I buy SFF Dell's and run Windows 7, 8, 10 and the newest server version, along with ubuntu, debian, mac OSX, and a random install depending on what day it is. I also house 2 unraid servers with around 24tb a piece (for redundancy). All that is packed into the "horseshoe".

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Lanceomni wrote:Yeah - it is worth it's weight in gold. With a little bit of tweaking of percentages (for screen sizes) you can get all the screens to line up perfectly. So as I start on the first monitor on the left and scroll right to the last monitor the mouse stays in a perfect line. Really allows for use of cheaper systems grouped together. I buy SFF Dell's and run Windows 7, 8, 10 and the newest server version, along with ubuntu, debian, mac OSX, and a random install depending on what day it is. I also house 2 unraid servers with around 24tb a piece (for redundancy). All that is packed into the "horseshoe".
It's beautiful. :shock:
ImageImageImageImage