New members, introduce yourself!

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
shortsinsnow

Re: New members, introduce yourself!

Post by shortsinsnow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 am

Hi all. I'm Andy and I first got into raspberry pi's when the last 3 came out. I knew about them when they first came out, but didn't know what to do with them. I tried making the 3 into a small touchscreen computer but ended up breaking the power in micro usb. I've learned a lot about solder and desoldering since then! But as we didn't have a lot of cash (that project was like, $100 of my birthday cash), I kind of put it on the back burner. For a few years. I rediscovered my interest when I saw a few channels on retro emulator handhelds from china, and that lead to the retropi projects like minty pi and the VMU emulators. Now I'm trying to cobble together enough understanding on how all these things are made so I can hopefully make my own. As much as I'd like to have dropped $40 on the kite boards, I'm thinking I can manage with just wires and buttons, but honestly my biggest fear is missing something like a resistor or something, and messing everything up and now I'm out again. So now I just lurk here and try and parse out anything that seems useful.

My latest hobby is just getting measurements for parts and throwing them into tinker cad and designing the layout to be small but usable (thinking smaller than a GB pocket, bigger than a VMU or tinypi). I currently have a $40 wishlist on adafruit of basic parts, but with even a 1200mha battery, I'm worried it's only going to last an hour so I'm just better off emulating on my phone, yeah? I'll probably be all over these forums once I'm more ready to pull the trigger and buy things, so thanks to everyone in advance