what do you do for a living?

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Sundays

what do you do for a living?

Post by Sundays » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Hello all!

i am looking for a change of career (again). I started out as a fitter and turner (cnc machinist) then moved into hydraulics and pneumatics. Then got a second trade as diesel mechanic and since then i spend most of my time doing electrical faultfinding. I am getting bored of this job and want to get in to electrical/electronics or automation. Are you in these fields and if so what qualification do you have?
Also open to suggestions of interesting jobs that require the sort of skills that are need to complete projects like the GBZ.

thanks in advance
Tooo many projects!!!

gijoe4500

Re: what do you do for a living?

Post by gijoe4500 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:34 pm

I work in the nuclear power industry doing non-destructive testing. In my downtime back at the shop, I do some robotics work, primarily mechanical assembly and a little bit of manual machine work. On top of that, I do some design work in Solidworks that ends up building cut by our CNC machinist. I haven't ventured into the electronics shop yet, aside from helping to sleeve some cable umbilicals. Might start talking to them soon about getting some training on soldering and repairing circuit boards.

JoshL

Post by JoshL » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm a software developer. Mainly web-based stuff, but a bit of windows application work too.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 am

I'm a cancer researcher. My background is Pharmacy and synthetic biology.

Erwinbrowning

Post by Erwinbrowning » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I run a clothes shop. have a great passion for fashion and love my job :D
Addicted to watch MBC drama on Tvluux.

Sundays

Post by Sundays » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

It's funny how most of us don't work in related industry.
Tooo many projects!!!

Double0EK

Post by Double0EK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I work in Cash Logistics and First Line Maintenance for Automated Teller Machines.

PIXeL_92

Post by PIXeL_92 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 am

I am a system admin for a large company that deals with the Football Leauge and also a succesfull eBay seller. :D
Needs parts for your Gameboy Zero or even just normal Gamboy mods, head over to http://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/ and use the discount code RGREPAIRS for a 10% discount code. Loads of great products at affordable prices.

Instagram - http://instagram.com/robsgamerepairs

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Sundays wrote:Hello all!

i am looking for a change of career (again). I started out as a fitter and turner (cnc machinist) then moved into hydraulics and pneumatics. Then got a second trade as diesel mechanic and since then i spend most of my time doing electrical faultfinding. I am getting bored of this job and want to get in to electrical/electronics or automation. Are you in these fields and if so what qualification do you have?
Also open to suggestions of interesting jobs that require the sort of skills that are need to complete projects like the GBZ.

thanks in advance
I work in solar and would very much recommend it as a career especially for someone with your background. Companies everywhere are hiring en masse, pays very well, and it's a very fun industry to be in because it's super established but simultaneously evolving constantly. Personally I write proposals and do web design/analytics.

Edit: @sundays: Didn't notice you live in australia. Australia has one of the best solar markets in the world if not the best due to solar access and obscenely high electric rates, and they're set to be rolling out energy storage tech before anywhere else. Definitely hit up some companies if you're interested! :)

Sundays

Post by Sundays » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 pm

The solar industry industry my part of Australia is dead, it is something that I'm interested in I'm hoping will take off again soon. In fact some politicians recently tried to blame a state wide black out on renewable reliance, policy need to change on this in Australia the problem is our economy is so reliant on mining resources. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Tooo many projects!!!