what do you do for a living?

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
MrDralixx

Re: what do you do for a living?

Post by MrDralixx » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am

Hi. I am a DevOps engineer (? titles change all the time for me) for the Development Support Team at IBM. I've currently been assigned to the support team for Watson Health Care developers.

Going back a bit further, I was a line cook to fulfill a work co-op class in my senior year of high school. That experience paid off as I moved on to being a grunt doing various construction work. Mostly concrete walls and flatwork though. The cooking experience helped pay the bills during the winter months when the weather impeded being able to work as well as getting to work. You would be surprised how many taverns can't get a decent cook and are willing to pay (under the table) quite well for one.

A high school friend helped me (BS very well on a resume) get my first computer job for Compaq Tech support via Bell Atlantic Business systems. This was right around when Windows 95 had come out. I still have (somewhere) the 25 floppy diskettes that was the original version of '95 that you could install. After that, it was about 10 years of working several "consultant" positions (ie: glorified temp worker) for other companies including: QVC, Consolidated Rail, Herman Miller, UPS, and my favorite, a local dial up provider. There were others, but those were the learning experience ones. I worked Desktop Support, Help Desk, Field Tech, etc. Desktops, Novell Servers, Windows Servers, Cisco Servers, Mainframe equipment and dummy terminals. Jack of many trades.

Got tired of IT work and took up a job doing cable installations for a while. Went from residential worker, to teacher, to QC, to Lead Tech, and then to Commercial Installer in about 18 months. Did that for the next several years. Got laid off and my wife finally insisted that (and won) for me to go back to school. I started that in January of '10 and took advantage of every semester (including summer 1 and summer 2 half semesters) and by adding 3 more classes to my roster, was able to earn an Associate's by June of '11. (in case I got interrupted and had to go back to work, I thought it would look better to say I had a degree AND was close to a bachelor's, than just saying I almost had a bachelor's) Transferred all but the 3 extra classes to a university i n June of '11, and "walked" by April of '13. I had talked to an IBM rep at a career fair a few months before and ended up accepting a job there in July of '13. I have been there since working a few projects until I settled on to the one I'm on now.

You now know more of me than you wanted to. :)

Fixmylife

Post by Fixmylife » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Bike messenger and founder of fmlcycling.com
Started screen printing my clothing brand then it turned into an online bike shop.. and launched my own brand of bikes last year.

Isaac Pearce

Post by Isaac Pearce » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:19 am

I work in call center.
Few tricks and that's it. I need nothing else to play there. But first I have to get evolution slots. I know I can win that way daily. It's my time now!

neolith

Post by neolith » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 am

demodummy wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm
I'm also a Graphic Designer by trade, but employed as a 3D Artist for an Ad Agency; mostly handling/retouching stills using 3D assets. Small World, huh? What movies have you worked on?

[...]
Sorry for replying so late, I haven't been online much the last few days.
I don't know if 'movies' was the proper description there, it's not feature films we are working on, just archvis. :) You can take a look at what the company I work for does here.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Majeye

Post by Majeye » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 am

I'm a freelance Software Engineer.

Formerly an API Engineer for Target Corporation and formerly a Database Systems Administrator for CenturyLink.
1st MintyPi Project (Completed)

Don't support thieves like ckliang who copied Helder's AIO to resell and is now cloning the mintyPi, support the original creators and not the thieves!

TheBeardedJake

Post by TheBeardedJake » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 am

Im an IT Desktop Officer. Basically, i go onsite (and remote) to fix anything my clients claim to be IT related. Worked for several MSP's over the last few years. Always getting Groupwise Work (how at this age i dont know)

One day i would like to be inhouse sysadmin or equivalent however this seems to be a dying trend where most business's axe inhouse and move to MSP to cut costs

urq101

Post by urq101 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm a government contractor, I design/build/test different test sets and modifications for multiple missile projects.

Fredl

Post by Fredl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

I study maths and work as a software devloper in robotics :)
I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee :-O

Link: Downmix your GBZs sound to mono or you're missing half the fidelity!

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I have studied software development and then web design and now i work as civil engineering site supervisor.
I was fed up of staying behind a computer whole day and building virtual stuffs so i have made a complete career change in 2003. I love my job...
Follow me on instagram Image

ZeroContext

Post by ZeroContext » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:07 pm

I am a cybersecurity analyst for a small consulting/professional services company. Keeps me busy!