NES Original Console

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Double0EK

NES Original Console

Post by Double0EK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I recently won an Original Nintendo Entertainment System on eBay for $16.50 plus $10 shipping.
I originally wanted to gut it and put a Raspberry Pi 3 inside.
The seller never tested the unit and sold it AS-IS.
Now I'm stuck on deciding if destroying an actual Retro Machine is worth my project or should I refurbish it and go a different route for my RetroPie build.
I'll start taking it apart just to clean it and maybe order Mario Bros to see if it works. I know the 72pin cart reader is easily replaceable if it doesn't read.

Just thinking of ideas.

Screenshot_2016-12-19-13-08-57-1.png
Screenshot_2016-12-19-13-08-57-1.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4832 times
Screenshot_2016-12-19-13-09-04-1.png
Screenshot_2016-12-19-13-09-04-1.png (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4832 times

CaptainDurden

Re: NES Original Console

Post by CaptainDurden » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:01 pm

honestly, i get your concerns, but if you're not a serious collector you should just gut it and repurpose it. here's my reasons:

-limited usability: it will only play NES games, which you will have to get physical copies of, that means storage and money concerns
-technical constraints: you're stuck with a bunch of entirely obsolete plugs and will need extra hardware like a framemeister (or an actual dedicated CRT screen) to be able to play your games in a way that doesnt look like total ass on a modern tv.
-market situation: the NES is one of the most-sold consoles in the history of video games, there's still hundreds of thousands of units out there
in all kinds of states from "mint-in-box" to "my son blew it up with an M-80 in 1993 so i would buy him a SNES", so for the foreseeable future people that are interested in getting a NES will be able to without problems, even if you reduced the population total of working units by one.
and apart from that there is so many hardware clones to choose from nowadays....

i had very similar concerns when gutting working or not entirely broken gameboys but the the argument that won me over in the end was this:
"i remember this as a toy, not a collector's item, so either i can turn it into something i actually want to play with or i can put it in a glass box, do nothing with it and pretend it is an "investment". i can choose if i wanna be an adult or a child when it comes to video games...."

and then i busted out a tri-wing and went to work!
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Double0EK

Re: NES Original Console

Post by Double0EK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:15 pm

[quote="CaptainDurden"][/quote]

Thanks for that insight. It actually makes sense to just go about with the RPi3.
And for $26.50 I'm not really taking a loss on it either. I just might take on this route and start building it.
Maybe I'll sell the guts on eBay and make my $26.50 back.