Taking the GBZ on a flight

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.

Will you take your custom-made GBZ on an airplane flight?

Definitely! I can use some time killer while flying.
81%
No, I will not. I don't want to jeopardize my flight.
19%

Total votes: 124

Ganreizu

Re: Taking the GBZ on a flight

Post by Ganreizu » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 am

Just got back from thanksgiving travel with my AIO v1.4 GBZ. The worst I got was an extra pat down (standard stuff) and they swabbed my hands and tested for trace chemicals for explosives. Obviously I didn't intend to die so it was fine. My GBZ has hot glue on the outside so it was subject to extra suspicion but I intend to remove it and that shouldn't happen again. I left the 2.5 mAh battery at home and brought an Anker brand 16k mAh external battery and ran the system from the micro USB the whole week. Gets upwards of 20 hours of battery life off that thing.

Safe to say taking the GBZ on a flight is not a problem.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 am

Ganreizu wrote:Safe to say taking the GBZ on a flight is not a problem.
I would like to revive this topic.

I am a frequent flier (in Europe, mainly between France and Austria) and experienced strict restrictions on batteries after the whole Samsung Galaxy craziness. Would you still think it is ok taking your GB on a flight?

xfcrowman

Post by xfcrowman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:47 am

Eccho wrote:
Ganreizu wrote:Safe to say taking the GBZ on a flight is not a problem.
I would like to revive this topic.

I am a frequent flier (in Europe, mainly between France and Austria) and experienced strict restrictions on batteries after the whole Samsung Galaxy craziness. Would you still think it is ok taking your GB on a flight?
I fly with my GBZ every other week in the US, and sometimes on international trips to Europe.

There shouldn't be any problems with it, just as long as you don't put it in your checked luggage. The security people at the airport are usually indifferent to the GBZ :-)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Eccho wrote:I would like to revive this topic.

Please read the rest of my post if you haven't. I think taking the GBZ on a flight is fine so long as you leave your internal battery at home and instead use a powerbank to power it through the micro USB. I have a 16.6k mAh anker battery that lasts for well over 10-12 hours powering GBZ.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:27 am

Ganreizu wrote:
Please read the rest of my post if you haven't. I think taking the GBZ on a flight is fine so long as you leave your internal battery at home and instead use a powerbank to power it through the micro USB. I have a 16.6k mAh anker battery that lasts for well over 10-12 hours powering GBZ.
I was wondering if this was still calid after the Samsung Galaxy battery not being allowed during flights. These had to be reported in all of your luggage so having a powerbank fueling your 'homemade' device felt a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the updates!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Eccho wrote:I was wondering if this was still calid after the Samsung Galaxy battery not being allowed during flights. These had to be reported in all of your luggage so having a powerbank fueling your 'homemade' device felt a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the updates!
Innocent until proven guilty applies here. A phone isn't the same as a powerbank functionally speaking. All powerbanks are allowed on flights so long as the capacity is less than 32,000 mAh.

Also the note 7 rule wasn't really enforced very well. There were a lot of people that stowed their note 7 on flights and were fine to travel.

32teeth

Post by 32teeth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 am

I travel with my GBZ and my custom fightsticks (i build them)

One time i had one of my clear cases (you can see all the wires) and since shipping sucks from Canada to US, i usually bring them with me on business travel (like every two weeks) and just ship from USPS (way cheaper)
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.40.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.40.12 AM.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 9045 times
They most definitely pulled me aside into security and asked what it is (because you know, you can't tell from looking at it duh)
When asked to plug it in, the where actually more interested in this
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.41.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.41.42 AM.png (1.65 MiB) Viewed 9045 times

NSultana

Post by NSultana » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I have recently had a problem with my GBZ bursting into flames(my pi grounded out on the battery terminal), but i am still going to take it with me when I fly later this year.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 am

NSultana wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 pm
GBZ bursting into flames(my pi grounded out on the battery terminal)
You are joking right?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:24 am

I hope he is 😂.

I'm going back to England in December so will be taking both a GBZ and a mintyPi..... hoping i get no dramas 😎