Taking the GBZ on a flight

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.

Will you take your custom-made GBZ on an airplane flight?

Definitely! I can use some time killer while flying.
81%
No, I will not. I don't want to jeopardize my flight.
19%

Total votes: 124

mathematics

Re: Taking the GBZ on a flight

Post by mathematics » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:09 am

scbailey94 wrote:I'm flying to the US next month and have almost finished my GBZ, so I was going to take it with me. Do you think I will be allowed or is it not worth the risk :/

No reason for any trubble, just pick ut out of the bag so they can see it while passing thru scanner. No worries. US machines searches for dangerous components/chemicals.

Just wait untill u will leave US :p full body scan swirling around u. Cant even have a paper in the pocket.

the one thing that can be trublesome if someone has 18650 batteries that short during the flight.

Use a travelpack/powerbar/etc, they will power the gameboy with out worries. No problem to take in carry on. Forbidden to check in tho.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

mathematics wrote:the one thing that can be trublesome if someone has 18650 batteries that short during the flight.

Use a travelpack/powerbar/etc, they will power the gameboy with out worries. No problem to take in carry on. Forbidden to check in tho.
Probably the best option imo. Don't even take the battery with you since that's the riskiest part, just run the GBZ off a powerbank through the micro USB port.

lotus1994

Post by lotus1994 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 am

I brought my Game Gear Pi on a recent flight to Florida. No issues at all. It of course has to be in the carry-on due to the batteries but I had no trouble through Security whatsoever and it made that 2 hour flight... fly? LOL Ba-dum-dum but seriously, do it. Why else did you make it but to enjoyably occupy your time. You have something better to do while you sit in a tin can 30K feet in the air?

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:46 am

The box my battery was delivered in has a big warning sign saying "do not uplift by air" with a plane with a big red cross through it. Am i going have to travel to the US by boat when i head there in october? :mrgreen:

Kalen

Post by Kalen » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:29 am

I've been planning on taking mine on a trip and I had never even thought it might be a security issue. I've traveled with all kinds of hand held electronic devices and I've never even been asked to turn them on. TSA in America is a joke.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 pm

So.. which batteries are not safe to fly with? I have the polymer battery, the same kind that cellphones and tablets use so what would it not be safe? I guess I need someone to explain it to me. :lol:

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:58 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:So.. which batteries are not safe to fly with? I have the polymer battery, the same kind that cellphones and tablets use so what would it not be safe? I guess I need someone to explain it to me. :lol:
I think they're only being precautions about a battery blowing up. I figure if it's tested well, it's fine. Batteries don't tend to randomly explode.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 am

Kilren wrote: I think they're only being precautions about a battery blowing up. I figure if it's tested well, it's fine. Batteries don't tend to randomly explode.
True, but I figure the odds of it happening are at the very least slightly higher with a hand-made console like this, and on a plane the repercussions of it happening are MUCH higher. I dunno. I probably wouldn't risk it, but I'm super paranoid about that kind of thing. :?
ImageImageImageImage

chiz

Post by chiz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 am

wermy wrote:
Kilren wrote: I think they're only being precautions about a battery blowing up. I figure if it's tested well, it's fine. Batteries don't tend to randomly explode.
True, but I figure the odds of it happening are at the very least slightly higher with a hand-made console like this, and on a plane the repercussions of it happening are MUCH higher. I dunno. I probably wouldn't risk it, but I'm super paranoid about that kind of thing. :?
This is exactly my thoughts as well.

Weeks ago, the GBZ made headlines around the RPi scene as a breakthrough project. It would be a shame if it makes the headlines once again as something that caused a plane fire or caused airport security issues.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 pm

chiz wrote:
wermy wrote:
This is exactly my thoughts as well.

Weeks ago, the GBZ made headlines around the RPi scene as a breakthrough project. It would be a shame if it makes the headlines once again as something that caused a plane fire or caused airport security issues.
True, but if you have a short that causes an internal battery to explode, you probably have the same short that would cause a power bank to have problems