Nintendo shutting down ROM sites

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
exodus

Nintendo shutting down ROM sites

Post by exodus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Moders,

Anyone hear / see the comments from various ROM sites that they are revisiting their site content - due to Nintendo putting the hammer down? I watching two youtubes yesterday talking about the ROM community for NES content could quickly dry up.

Moonsword

Re: Nintendo shutting down ROM sites

Post by Moonsword » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm

While I understand they are trying to protect their IP, I do not agree with what they are doing.

Most of the games that are on these ROM sites are not even sold by Nintendo, or anyone, any more, and the sites are not selling the ROMs, the only money the sites make are from ads.
If the sites were selling, or having to be a paid member, the ROMs to make money off them, I would understand Nintendo getting upset. Most of the times, the ads are there just to cover the cost of running the site.

It is sad to see a lot of sites shutting down because of this, a lot of the retro games are just going to disappear now because of this, and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 am

exodus wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Moders,

Anyone hear / see the comments from various ROM sites that they are revisiting their site content - due to Nintendo putting the hammer down? I watching two youtubes yesterday talking about the ROM community for NES content could quickly dry up.
Moonsword wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm
While I understand they are trying to protect their IP, I do not agree with what they are doing.

Most of the games that are on these ROM sites are not even sold by Nintendo, or anyone, any more, and the sites are not selling the ROMs, the only money the sites make are from ads.
If the sites were selling, or having to be a paid member, the ROMs to make money off them, I would understand Nintendo getting upset. Most of the times, the ads are there just to cover the cost of running the site.

It is sad to see a lot of sites shutting down because of this, a lot of the retro games are just going to disappear now because of this, and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.

to play a bit of devil advocate.....
(and i dont really have an issue with what Nintendo are doing)

its the same scenario if they were a music artist (or any other kind of producer of goods)....
its irrelevant if they are not selling the items currently or if the item is discontinued....

they still own the rights to that item, and could decide to sell it again in the future or may be not (its their product)

to have someone come along and start peddling ripped or cloned (or whatever similar type) version of that product....
for monetary gain or not
is a bit of a liberty (try putting yourself in their shoes)....
and its why discussion on how to obtain these items or share these items is not acceptable in most circles (mainly forums)

now to the reality of it....

these items are out there, and have been for decades.....
just because one of these sites has been taken down (or been forced to change its model)

there tons of other places that people can obtain these items from (if they so desire)

and nothing is going to disappear into the ether (unlucky for Nintendo, and the others)......

its just one dealer getting busted, another will pop up to take their place (its just how it is)
(remember Limewire, Napster & Megaupload, nothing changes, just the names on the front door)......

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:58 am

I have no issues with a company trying to protect their IP.

Let me give you a scenario, you pay for a little plot of land to park a spare car you have. You don't have any intention of ever driving that car or visiting the little plot of land that you parked it on. Does that give someone the right to break into that car, drive it around, or camp on that plot of land?

Just because something is abandoned doesn't make it fair game. Unless the creator says it's OK or what ever license that protected the IP expired.

Hellweaver666

Post by Hellweaver666 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 am

You can't blame them for holding on tight to some of their prime properties (Mario, Metroid, Contra, Zelda etc) but there were so many daft little games that they will NEVER monetise ever again that they should just let go of. Usually the problem is that these decisions are handled by lawyers and the top brass. The lawyers are paid to keep an eye on trademark and copywrite related issues and they know that if they don't actively enforce those things it's as good as giving it away (copywrite/trademarks can effectively by nullified if they aren't shown to be actively using / defending those rights).

pearce

Post by pearce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 am

I believe that Roms will never go away. Nintendo is basically trying to get rid of all the sand on a beach.
Too bad I know nothing about spanish gp. This is really sad. All I know is nothing. What a day!

Hellweaver666

Post by Hellweaver666 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:44 am

ROM's will always be available sure, but it used to be SO easy to find them... Just go to emuparadise and download the entire set for your chosen platform and you were done. Now the situation is more complicated and you have to trawl through torrent trackers and hope someone is seeding what you need etc.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 am

Hellweaver666 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 am
You can't blame them for holding on tight to some of their prime properties (Mario, Metroid, Contra, Zelda etc) but there were so many daft little games that they will NEVER monetise ever again that they should just let go of. Usually the problem is that these decisions are handled by lawyers and the top brass. The lawyers are paid to keep an eye on trademark and copywrite related issues and they know that if they don't actively enforce those things it's as good as giving it away (copywrite/trademarks can effectively by nullified if they aren't shown to be actively using / defending those rights).
It's a slippery slope though. If you're making the argument that some games that are clearly abandoned should be fair game who will be the arbiter to decide which games are OK to take and which ones aren't. It's easier to take the stance of don't steal anything instead of having someone pick and choose what's ok or not.

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Question, is Nintendo doing the right thing?

Question of consiense, would a gbz or mintypi be any fun without roms? ;)

Dilemma :lol:

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 am

Wailer wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Question, is Nintendo doing the right thing?

Question of consiense, would a gbz or mintypi be any fun without roms? ;)

Dilemma :lol:
Sure you need roms but there are plenty of public domain roms out there totally free.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.