Nintendo shutting down ROM sites

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
Wailer

Re: Nintendo shutting down ROM sites

Post by Wailer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 am
Wailer wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Question, is Nintendo doing the right thing?

Question of consiense, would a gbz or mintypi be any fun without roms? ;)

Dilemma :lol:
Sure you need roms but there are plenty of public domain roms out there totally free.
Tell me more, i have not found a royalty free rom worth playing.

Edit: most roms used are for sentimental reasons childhood memories etc

As i said "question of consiense"

antonym

Post by antonym » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 am
exodus wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Moders,

Anyone hear / see the comments from various ROM sites that they are revisiting their site content - due to Nintendo putting the hammer down? I watching two youtubes yesterday talking about the ROM community for NES content could quickly dry up.
Moonsword wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm
While I understand they are trying to protect their IP, I do not agree with what they are doing.

Most of the games that are on these ROM sites are not even sold by Nintendo, or anyone, any more, and the sites are not selling the ROMs, the only money the sites make are from ads.
If the sites were selling, or having to be a paid member, the ROMs to make money off them, I would understand Nintendo getting upset. Most of the times, the ads are there just to cover the cost of running the site.

It is sad to see a lot of sites shutting down because of this, a lot of the retro games are just going to disappear now because of this, and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.

to play a bit of devil advocate.....
(and i dont really have an issue with what Nintendo are doing)

its the same scenario if they were a music artist (or any other kind of producer of goods)....
its irrelevant if they are not selling the items currently or if the item is discontinued....

they still own the rights to that item, and could decide to sell it again in the future or may be not (its their product)

to have someone come along and start peddling ripped or cloned (or whatever similar type) version of that product....
for monetary gain or not
is a bit of a liberty (try putting yourself in their shoes)....
and its why discussion on how to obtain these items or share these items is not acceptable in most circles (mainly forums)

now to the reality of it....

these items are out there, and have been for decades.....
just because one of these sites has been taken down (or been forced to change its model)

there tons of other places that people can obtain these items from (if they so desire)

and nothing is going to disappear into the ether (unlucky for Nintendo, and the others)......

its just one dealer getting busted, another will pop up to take their place (its just how it is)
(remember Limewire, Napster & Megaupload, nothing changes, just the names on the front door)......

absolutely true, and well said in the last paragraph

Luciad48

Post by Luciad48 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 am

Moonsword wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:10 pm
While I understand they are trying to protect their IP, I do not agree with what they are doing.

Most of the games that are on these ROM sites are not even sold by Nintendo, or anyone, any more, and the sites are not selling the ROMs, the only money the sites make are from ads.
If the sites were selling, or having to be a paid member, the ROMs to make money off them mutuelles TNS, I would understand Nintendo getting upset. Most of the times, the ads are there just to cover the cost of running the site.

It is sad to see a lot of sites shutting down because of this, a lot of the retro games are just going to disappear now because of this, and it seems like there is nothing we can do about it.
You're absolutely right, but what do you want, it's the hard way of marketing.