New Devices Kneecapping Gameboy Zeroes

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
RxBrad

New Devices Kneecapping Gameboy Zeroes

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 am

I was about to jump headfirst into my fourth GBZ build, and then the Analogue Pocket & RG350 both appeared. Now I'm not sure if I want to drop another ~$150 on my own shoddy craftsmanship.

From what I've seen on YouTube, the RG350 handhelds appear to give near-Pi3-performance for under $90. My biggest gripe on Pi Zero builds (at least lately) is their poor performance with so many SNES games. Yeah, I could do a CM3 or Pi3 build, but those seem to generally be s-u-u-u-uper expensive, and you have to be on your toes to get kits like the Circuit Sword. I've had throttling issues on a regular Pi3 in the official Raspberry Pi case, so I also worry how it'd fare in a DMG shell.

The Analogue Pocket just seems bonkers for how awesome it could be (it could also be a dud with <1hr battery life). The way they bill it, it sounds like it'll be a $200 Pocket MiSTer. And the screen sounds like it'll be sharp (though the square aspect ratio could be a pro or a con, depending on the scenario).
Image Image

Spyder

Re: New Devices Kneecapping Gameboy Zeroes

Post by Spyder » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:46 pm

How about the new switch lite that you can purchase retro games for? $199 looks good to me.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Spyder wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:46 pm
How about the new switch lite that you can purchase retro games for? $199 looks good to me.
If only Nintendo made more retro games available, I'd totally be on board with this (there a good chance I'll buy a Switch Lite still). Unfortunately, they just have a slow trickle of retro games (at a fairly inflated price).

I bought a 3DS XL recently, simply to be able to buy up old DS & 3DS games and play those (I really have no interest attempting to emulate those dual screen games).
Image Image

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 am

I'm so old school that my primary focus is on Super Mario everything. I may get into more, but that would be my focus. The switch lite definitely interests me, but I don't want it to be like my PS Vita where I play for a bit and then put it away for years. Recently just opened it back up. Great console that never really took off. I keep thinking about hacking it to run emulators, but really want to finish my pocket that I've started. I'm too deep in that project to just ignore it.