[SHIPPED] PRS-TECH Micro SD Cart board with Advanced Filtering

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
Kearns2020

Re: [SHIPPED] PRS-TECH Micro SD Cart board with Advanced Filtering

Post by Kearns2020 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi Perunnerseth,

Is there any news on when you are going to do another pre-order, really would like a few of these.

jsawhite

Post by jsawhite » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:30 am

Kearns2020 wrote:Hi Perunnerseth,

Is there any news on when you are going to do another pre-order, really would like a few of these.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1323

Brenz

Post by Brenz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:01 am

Just recieved mine, looks good! (Aus)

KrxXxiT

Post by KrxXxiT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:43 am

prerunnerseth wrote:
KrxXxiT wrote:
prerunnerseth wrote:
Yes! just remember to remove the connector from the board first. It wont work with the card edge connector still soldered to the original game boy board

Yeah I know, after half an hour of solder sucking then busting out the dremel got the damn thing off.

I gathered from your posts in the thread where I found the pic, that first lot of pins should be soldered to 2 pins to reduce the impedance or something, but it still works if you soldier them to single pins. Right?
exactly
cartridge pinout.jpg
cartridge pinout.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8425 times
Hey I'm having some problems. I've wired everything like the picture (pp15/pp19/pp18/pp14/pp16/pp17/pp8) but it doesn't work, the pi's light is flashing like it's booting but no image on the screen, and I know everything else works fine as when I put my sd card directly into the pi it works without any problems. I was wondering, I noticed wormy has 8 wires going from his card reader to the pi and I only count 7 on yours, am I missing something? do I need to run a ground wire? I've tried running a ground wire from the ground (the pin after where you have labeled 3.3V/GPIO PIN1/PP8) and no success, then I also tried grounding the last pin of the cartridge connector, again no success. I feel like I'm missing something.

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 am

KrxXxiT wrote:
prerunnerseth wrote:
KrxXxiT wrote:

Yeah I know, after half an hour of solder sucking then busting out the dremel got the damn thing off.

I gathered from your posts in the thread where I found the pic, that first lot of pins should be soldered to 2 pins to reduce the impedance or something, but it still works if you soldier them to single pins. Right?
exactly
cartridge pinout.jpg

Hey I'm having some problems. I've wired everything like the picture (pp15/pp19/pp18/pp14/pp16/pp17/pp8) but it doesn't work, the pi's light is flashing like it's booting but no image on the screen, and I know everything else works fine as when I put my sd card directly into the pi it works without any problems. I was wondering, I noticed wormy has 8 wires going from his card reader to the pi and I only count 7 on yours, am I missing something? do I need to run a ground wire? I've tried running a ground wire from the ground (the pin after where you have labeled 3.3V/GPIO PIN1/PP8) and no success, then I also tried grounding the last pin of the cartridge connector, again no success. I feel like I'm missing something.
YOu defintely need 8... and that would be the ground pin. Did you remove the connector from the game boy board?

KrxXxiT

Post by KrxXxiT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:43 am

Yes I spent about 30 minutes de-soldering it from the original game boy pcb, now it's just the black cartridge reader with the pins sticking out the back end.
So when looking at it from the back end (the side where the pins are facing you and you solder onto them), following your diagram from left to right, I've soldered the first 7 (14 when doubled for impedance) pins to the PP points on the pi, now which ground point should I use?
cartridge pinout problems.jpg
cartridge pinout problems.jpg (419.41 KiB) Viewed 8413 times

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:52 am

KrxXxiT wrote:Yes I spent about 30 minutes de-soldering it from the original game boy pcb, now it's just the black cartridge reader with the pins sticking out the back end.
So when looking at it from the back end (the side where the pins are facing you and you solder onto them), following your diagram from left to right, I've soldered the first 7 (14 when doubled for impedance) pins to the PP points on the pi, now which ground point should I use?
cartridge pinout problems.jpg
It shouldnt matter which ground point you use. I would suspect you have a short somewhere. Do you have a meter to check your connections? can you include a picture of your actual project.

KrxXxiT

Post by KrxXxiT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:41 pm

I've re-wired the cartridge reader to use single pins as you suggested a short, I swapped PP8 for 3.3V GPIO.
Still no luck.

Here's some pic's I've put together with labels. If you want a more high def pic, let me know.
my wiring.jpg
my wiring.jpg (403.42 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
Here's a close up of the pi's wiring:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (134.3 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Forgot to mention; yeah I have a multi meter and I've checked continuity between the cartridge, cartridge reader, and pi, as far as I can tell it's all fine, and I'm using the wires from an Ethernet cable.

msykos

Post by msykos » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Your missing the ground wire to pp5, it does not go to the power strip ground.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-09-15-14-00-30.png
Screenshot_2016-09-15-14-00-30.png (721.62 KiB) Viewed 8391 times

KrxXxiT

Post by KrxXxiT » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:31 pm

I removed all wires, chopped a 10cm piece of ATA ribbon cable and wired it up the same but using PP5 as msykos said, now works flawlessly :)

I knew I was missing something simple... 2 things:
1) my wires were probably too long.
2) I did not know PP5 was ground and that the power strip ground would react differently.

Thanks @msykos for the tip

And thanks @prerunnerseth for helping

Now I can move on to finishing up the audio and graceful shutdown :D :D :D

Here's some pic's of my amendment to the wiring:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (150.39 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (126.7 KiB) Viewed 8380 times