[SHIPPED] PRS-TECH Micro SD Cart board with Advanced Filtering

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
prerunnerseth

Re: [PRE-ORDER 2.0] PRS-TECH Micro SD Cart board with Advanced Filtering

Post by prerunnerseth » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:39 pm

So sorry, didn't mean to cause conflict here! So @prerunnerseth this is a good solution for people like myself who likely won't do the soldering perfectly? Do you mind sharing a couple photos?
There are photos in my other thread for the first batch.

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:48 pm

prerunnerseth wrote:
So sorry, didn't mean to cause conflict here! So @prerunnerseth this is a good solution for people like myself who likely won't do the soldering perfectly? Do you mind sharing a couple photos?
Thanks! Here's a direct link for anyone else looking.

EDIT: Bought x2
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 pm

UrbanDROID wrote:Any pictures of the layout of the board? Is the micro sd card slot on the edge of the card or in the center? top or side?
http://i.imgur.com/F7CSSWW.jpg

dboSS

Post by dboSS » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:04 pm

prerunnerseth wrote:
Can you check your inbox for my message ?

kitsch-bent

Post by kitsch-bent » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 pm

prerunnerseth wrote:
kitsch-bent wrote:
a3k4 wrote:What are the differences between this board and @kitsch-bent's MicroSD cartridge board? The kk_gb_zero_b2 for $15.50.
this one requires some extra filtering because (at least from my understanding) the pins chosen on the edge connector inside the console instroduced some sort of issue in reading/writing to the microSD card. there was some sort of interference which was occurring, but i'm not sure exactly the reason. hence, there was a redesign/fix (i.e., filtering).

apart from that, there may be other differences like orientation of the SD socket or some such.... can't tell without a pic or details. only in regards to the need for filtering to avoid the conflict that was happening with the edge connector (which, to my understanding, the edge connector still needs to be removed so I'm unsure whats going on, tbh)...

perhaps OP can fill in on what the conflict is with the original console's board... i dunno, other than it needed some corrective measure to be taken.
There was nothing wrong with the board or the layout. The extra filtering eliminates the need to do the wiring perfect and or find a SD card that works with it. Pretty much everything works as long as there arent any shorts or opens If it was simply the layout I would have changed the layout instead of adding a bunch of extra components.

Please stay out of my thread talking about my product when you don't understand it.
i was tagged, hence the reply, i read it as being asked... that is generally why people are tagged... based this solely on comments from users (in the other thread) regarding their not being able to get the original cart design working and the need for an update (and your offer to fix their other boards for them). as i was tagged, and this is a public forum, a response seemed appropriate. good luck with your product, i hope the fix solved whatever issue people were reporting earlier... (whatever it was that was causing it)
its full of Game Boy Zero stuff!!! -----> -----> -----> http://store.kitsch-bent.com

(^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^) >*(^_^)*< (^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^)

sirfragalot

Post by sirfragalot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:12 am

1x Ordered for UK delivery.

Flowlance

Post by Flowlance » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:47 pm

prerunnerseth wrote: Please stay out of my thread talking about my product when you don't understand it.
This seemed so unnecessary. All he did was answer his question. It actually kept me from ordering one from you.

day

Post by day » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Flowlance wrote:
prerunnerseth wrote: Please stay out of my thread talking about my product when you don't understand it.
This seemed so unnecessary. All he did was answer his question. It actually kept me from ordering one from you.
100% agree, refrain me from ordering as well, it escalated so quickly...for nothing.

kitsch-bent was simply trying to reply, and he even took care to use specific wording showing that his words needs confirmation.

Anyway, good luck with your stuff

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Hey guys,
Let's not forget that we're all here to just have fun and do retro gaming projects. It doesn't seem like any offense was really meant on either side, so maybe we could just get back on-topic to GBZ things. :)
ImageImageImageImage

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:44 am

day wrote:
Flowlance wrote:
100% agree, refrain me from ordering as well, it escalated so quickly...for nothing.

kitsch-bent was simply trying to reply, and he even took care to use specific wording showing that his words needs confirmation.

Anyway, good luck with your stuff
The reason why i was irritated is because he answered it in a way that makes it sound like i offer an inferior product to his competing product. That i made changes because there was something wrong with it. there was nothing wrong with it. Why the original poster asked him about my product in my thread i don't know. he should have left it to me to explain why I did what i did. There are many people using my product without the additional filtering. The original card works perfectly in my GBZ. the filtering simply makes the product dead reliable and more robust with any Micro SD card and without being as picky about the wiring.

Let me explain.

Micro SD cards are a single ended serial communication. This means that the clock and data signals are referenced to ground. This is not as robust as a differential serial communication. What this means is that it is not meant for communication over lengths of wire or long traces. This is normally not an issue as the card holder is generally mounted on the same PCB as the processor. In our case we are remotely wiring the SD card holder over a long length of wire. much more susceptible to noise. This also adds inductance. what the inductance does is during bursts of high speed communication the inductance allows reflected signals to build up. particularly on the clock signal which generally runs at double the frequency as the data signals. these reflections manifest as ringing on the clock. if the ringing gets big enough to trip the threshold of the clock then you get a false clock pulse and errors. The last issue is that when you add inductance to a power source like the 3.3v rail on the micro sd card then you get noise on the trace whenever the card draws current. the card draws current based on flipping the bits internally. if there is enough of these it can cause too much noise on the sensitive digital rail like the 3.3v and interfere with other things on that rail or allow the rail to dip enough at the card to cause glitches. this is what the decoupling cap is for. I have added additional filtering to make the power rail especially smooth.

Hope this helps my customers understand why i did what did. It was not because my product was faulty.