What GBZ build kit to get

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
gnubbyabush

What GBZ build kit to get

Post by gnubbyabush » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can share with me some GBZ kits that they've used for builds. I see there are a few out there and want to choose one with good parts that people are using. Also curious if there's some advantage to not using the kits and just buying the individual parts.

Kalei808

Re: What GBZ build kit to get

Post by Kalei808 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Depends on what you want for your gb. Do you want an hdmi out? The pi zero w runs a lot of roms flawlessly but falls short with most playstation, n64 and some mame roms etc. but can easily be positioned to have an hdmi out. Also fits in the case easily because of its small footprint. The pi 3 is much more powerful but may have power issues. Will play most roms but you may have to mod quite a bit to have an hdmi out. You may have to be a bit more creative to fit the pi3 in the dmg case.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 am

I highly recommend the show off corner in the game boy zero thread being as this is the buy sell trade/classified part of the forum. You will see tons of builds including home made setups to ones like I am using from kite that use AIO (All In One) boards and such.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9
Link to the thread

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 pm

gnubbyabush wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 pm
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can share with me some GBZ kits that they've used for builds. I see there are a few out there and want to choose one with good parts that people are using. Also curious if there's some advantage to not using the kits and just buying the individual parts.
There is a whole spectrum of complexity vs ease ranging from wermy's original OEM part orchestra to the highly sophisticated All In One boards by Helder and Kite. Basically, if you want to minimize the amount of work you have to do, and the number of parts, go with an AIO. If you want to customize to your liking or get more involved with the build, lean more in the piecemeal approach.

I'd invite you to answer the following questions:
What case do you want to use? (DMG, GBC, GBA, Custom?)
What games do you want to play? (If up to 16 bit, Pi Zero should be fine, PSX and above, you'll want to upgrade to the Pi3 or Orange)
How involved do you want to be in the build? (See above)

The wiki has a complete list of parts including alternatives and links to sources, so I'd check that out, read through the build threads here, and watch the build videos on Youtube.