Archived - Kite pre-order

Completed sale threads will be moved here to keep things tidy in the main For Sale forum.
bentresearch

Re: [PRE-ORDER] Circuit Sword, Circuit Sword Lite + Circuit Gem - CLOSED

Post by bentresearch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Received all kits a couple days ago. Amazing service and quality as always :D

kite

Post by kite » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 am

andershp wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm
Sorry man, I'm not risking this boards life without double checking here :D

On the analog volume back board there is 3 plugs:
On top "SWITCHES" 3 of the wires are labelled L1, L2, GND.
On bottom "AUX_R" labelled R1, R2, GND. So I guess I solder R1, GND and L1, GND to the rear buttons board holes if I want a L1 and R1 button on the back? I just don't understand why the L1/R1 buttons should be connected to the back board that handles the USB and analog volume?

In the middle: AGND, AVOL, A3V3 plug - this should be plugged into the corresponding plug that's angled 45 degrees on the mainboard, right?

I obviously want the USB on the back board to work, but I guess this doesn't have anything to do with the plug on the mainboard labelled INTUSB? So this should be left unused along with the Joy1 and Joy2 plugs?

What about all the empty "slots" on the back of the main board, e.g. 5V, GND, VCC, 3V3, 1VB, S+ and S-? Also the 12 on the top and 2 on the side labelled PWRIN + / -. None of these are used?
All correct there.The reason is that the FPC cable that links the two halves of the board together is what carries the signals for back buttons and USB (and HDMI if you use the HDMI back board). It makes wiring much simpler by only having one thing connecting them together (the FPC cable). The exception being the analog volume wheel which has it's own connector (no free pins on the FPC so had to use something else).

All the other pads are labelled for their functionality and are mainly for debug (e.g. i tell you to measure voltages at these points) or just spare pins on the CM3 that i haven't used (e.g. those 12 that you mention under the CM3 module)

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 am

Just wanted to post a little about my experience with the upgraded HDMI screen. First of all, this IS NOT a dig at Kite in any way at all. Kite's products are tip top in every way as is always to be expected. Getting the screen ordered from overseas was an adventure to say the least. Communication barriers, relaying what is actually needed, and stressing the need for a 40 pin ribbon were damn near impossible. Finally got one ordered, paid a ton to get it here, only to find out it flashes on and off and is designed off center. No matter how much I cut from the case, I don't think this thing will ever look good enough to use. Perhaps there are different models of screen that are more symmetric and centered, but I don't have the patience or money to keep trying them. Again this is more or less just my experience. Just wanted to get it out there and see if anyone else had anything similar with their upgrades. Also again....none of this is Kite's fault at all and I am not putting him down or faulting him for this.

nod2121

Post by nod2121 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 am

Dumb question here: I'm wondering what the difference in performance would be with the new Circuit Sword using a Pi Computer Module 3 vs one of Kite's older AIO boards with a PI Zero W?

I made a couple GBZ's with Pi Zero W's and some of Kite's super AIO boards a few years ago and I'm thinking of making a newer, more improved version with 2 joysticks. I'm not too familiar with Pi Compute Modules or how capable they are when gaming. I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference or much of a difference at all between what I've been gaming on (Pi Zero W and older AIO board) and one of the newer boards with a Pi Compute Module.

Cheers in advance!

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am

CM3 is basically the same as a regular Pi3 B. To answer your question, the difference is night and day. CM3 is much more powerful than a Pi Zero W.

javi.124

Post by javi.124 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Does anyone have a GEM board not wanted anymore? If so, I will buy it from you. (busted mine! tore apart a pad and part of a track while trying to desolder...)

kite

Post by kite » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 am

New pre-order available here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8488