[Solved] LCD Shorts something out on CSL

Chaoticly

[Solved] LCD Shorts something out on CSL

Post by Chaoticly » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi!

I was connecting everything up to test all the electronics, everything was going well until I plugged in the LCD to the board. Without the LCD plugged in I got activity from the PI (Green LED on the pi was flashing indicating activity, PGOOD LED on the board was also solid/flashing). When I would plug in the LCD, stuff got weird. The CHG LED came on, the LCD would flicker gray and white, there was a loud whine coming from the board, and red LEDs were flashing everywhere. I have a high suspicion that I revived a faulty LCD.

Edit: My Pi Zero also gets really hot really fast, like too hot to touch, it only seems to heat up near the CPU. I’ve checked all the solder points and don’t se any bridges or where it’d short out.

Killar

Re: LCD Shorts something out on CSL

Post by Killar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 pm

without being to tech savy, i would suspect that you have a faulty pi zero. have you tested it by it self, connected to a tv/screen, with a wall socket power supply?

My CM3 board i received recently also got a whining noise when powered on. but when in the case it is not notable anymore.

a couple of years back i got a pi zero w, that also got warm within seconds, and dangerously hot after only minuts of idle use. i returned it, and got a replacement, the new one only got slight warm.

Chaoticly wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 pm
Hi!

I was connecting everything up to test all the electronics, everything was going well until I plugged in the LCD to the board. Without the LCD plugged in I got activity from the PI (Green LED on the pi was flashing indicating activity, PGOOD LED on the board was also solid/flashing). When I would plug in the LCD, stuff got weird. The CHG LED came on, the LCD would flicker gray and white, there was a loud whine coming from the board, and red LEDs were flashing everywhere. I have a high suspicion that I revived a faulty LCD.

Edit: My Pi Zero also gets really hot really fast, like too hot to touch, it only seems to heat up near the CPU. I’ve checked all the solder points and don’t se any bridges or where it’d short out.

Chaoticly

Post by Chaoticly » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Killar wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 pm
without being to tech savy, i would suspect that you have a faulty pi zero. have you tested it by it self, connected to a tv/screen, with a wall socket power supply?
I hate that I didn’t test it, but I do have another pi zero, I just don’t have a way to desolder it properly lol... I’m hoping kite would know something more. I’ve already cleaned up the soldering job to a point where it looks pretty good and still nothing.

kite

Post by kite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:21 am

Could you show some pics of your soldering job? If you remove the LCD does it go back to normal or still gets hot?

I've added a new step to the 'sanity check' stuff on the guide before soldering anything to test the LCD out to hopefully prevent something like this happening (or, at least being able to say 'did it pass this check') but obviously won't help you here, but we should be able to narrow it down.. also, do you have a multimeter?
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Chaoticly

Post by Chaoticly » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 am

kite wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:21 am
Could you show some pics of your soldering job? If you remove the LCD does it go back to normal or still gets hot?

I've added a new step to the 'sanity check' stuff on the guide before soldering anything to test the LCD out to hopefully prevent something like this happening (or, at least being able to say 'did it pass this check') but obviously won't help you here, but we should be able to narrow it down.. also, do you have a multimeter?

Soldering job isn't the best, it was my first time doing it like this. I finally figured it out be the time I got to soldering your board. Also yeah, the raspberry pi still gets hot.

I do have a multimeter.

Chaoticly

Post by Chaoticly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 pm

I’ve gotten out the multimeter, other than some of the GPIO ports shorting to ground, there are no neighboring pins shorting each other. Also I’ve noticed that even using usb or battery I couldn’t get a solid 5v off the 5v pins. I’m suspecting a bad pi but I literally don’t have anything that could desolder this off the board... However I made a discovery, putting the SD Card in known working boards do make it pretty hot. Sort of the same temperature as the pi I soldered in is getting.

Edit: Never mind the pi soldered to the board is definitely way hotter, suspecting bad pi again. Maybe.

Chaoticly

Post by Chaoticly » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

So, an entire weekend later, I bought solder wick and got 99% of the solder off but I can’t get the pi off. I just lack the knowledge and tools to take this pi off the board. I’m too scared to do anything else because this CSL was expensive and I absolutely do not want to break this. So kite if you can help me out or something I’d be willing to pay for shipping and everything but I can’t take this pi off.

I’m annoyed at this point. I’ve wasted so much time on getting this pi off I’m honestly out of ideas. I would absolutely hate to have to buy another $100 CSL and wait 5 months.

kite

Post by kite » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am

Hi :) yeah soldering isn't the best i'll be honest! So likely it sounds like VCC or 3.3V is shorted somewhere.. if you have your multimeter in continuity mode and measure the following pins to GND, and it is a dead short, well that's where to follow and look for problems :P

5V (or, battery voltage):
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 13-59-15.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 13-59-15.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
3.3V:
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 13-58-50.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-22 13-58-50.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
I can look to repair but removing stuff is way harder than putting it on, regardless you won't have to wait 5 months because i have spares for existing customers! I can do you a discount on a replacement board if you send me an email we can work it out. It might be better in future to snip the long pins first before soldering, I'm going to edit the guide to suggest this instead!

Chaoticly

Post by Chaoticly » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 am

kite wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am
I can look to repair but removing stuff is way harder than putting it on, regardless you won't have to wait 5 months because i have spares for existing customers! I can do you a discount on a replacement board if you send me an email we can work it out. It might be better in future to snip the long pins first before soldering, I'm going to edit the guide to suggest this instead!
Yeah I'm not even going to mess with it, its a mess. I've PM'd you my email so we can continue with getting a replacement board. :p

Thanks for your patience!

Edit: you have PM's disabled lol, whats an email I can contact you at?

kite

Post by kite » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:09 am

Click the little 'contact' bubble under my icon, there should be a 'mail' icon ;)