[Circuit Sword v1.1E] WIFI won't connect + shows no other networks

davomat

[Circuit Sword v1.1E] WIFI won't connect + shows no other networks

Post by davomat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:07 am

Hi all,

After some years after ordering my 3 Circuit Swords (2x v1.1E, 1x v3.1G), I finally found the time to build a GBZ as a present my GF. Everything is fine regarding assembly, but I'm having troubles with the WiFi with one of the v1.1E boards.

The WiFi icon shows an exclamation mark "!" and in the WIFI menu of retropie the WIFI scan finds no other network. When I put my SD card (Circuit Sword Software v1.3.3) into one of the other Swords, the WIFI immediately connects with my local WLAN and the scan also shows all my neighbours networks.

Do you have any idea how I could fix the audio or if not, maybe schematics of the board to have a closer look at faulty components?

Cheers,
David

LilTrublMakr

Re: [Circuit Sword v1.1E] WIFI won't connect + shows no other networks

Post by LilTrublMakr » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:11 am

Try plugging it in to a charger and turning it on. Mine did the same thing. IIRC, it was a bad CM3. Overall, if plugging it in and turning it on works, then you should be golden after transferring everything over.

davomat

Post by davomat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:21 am

LilTrublMakr wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:11 am
Try plugging it in to a charger and turning it on. Mine did the same thing. IIRC, it was a bad CM3. Overall, if plugging it in and turning it on works, then you should be golden after transferring everything over.
Thanks for the reply, I tried with USB-C power but without success. I can rule out a faulty CM3 module, as I tried 3 different modules and the same module works in another board. As the WIFI is a separate module on the board and the kernel and network driver is loaded correctly, I think it must be something broken in the HF part of the WIFI. So either something is broken in the WIFI module or the surrounding SMD parts are misplaced or not soldered correctly.
IMG_6983.jpg
IMG_6983.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 4451 times
I added a picture of the PCB, maybe you can spot something odd.
IMG_6981.jpg
IMG_6981.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4451 times

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Is R59 missing? Hard so see dark components on that picture. And the wifi module in that area looks been reworked on the joints?

davomat

Post by davomat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:35 pm

No R59 is there, although being placed a little diagonally. However it looks ok and seems to have contact. Regarding the joints, for debugging purposes, I gave them some extra solder where it looked like there might be too little, but it didn’t change anything -.-