[SOLVED] CSO - How to add a Nintendo DS Joystick

Ark

[SOLVED] CSO - How to add a Nintendo DS Joystick

Post by Ark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 am

Hi All

I just decided to use a Nintendo DS Joystick instead of a PSP one for the new CS board, since I found it more appeal in terms of style and layout.

I have seen that Kite used the exact same one for his assembly guide on the Super AIO (You can check it here):

)

Reading the assembly Guide for the CS board I notice the following "The joystick should be glued in well. 4pin JST cables are included that will wire up to the joystick solder points". The DS Joystick comes by default with a tiny ribbon connector instead of any exposed solder pins, so I don't really know how I can accomplish this.

So my question is, How is possible to wire the DS Joystick to the board then?, How Kite's did it on the Super AIO version? Is there any adaptor that I can use?

Any light on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

ICMF

Re: Nintendo DS Joystick

Post by ICMF » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 am

Not sure how Kite did it, but one possible solution...

That ribbon cable connects to a PCB inside the joystick. You can see it if you flip the part over:

You can access it with a bit of (careful!) surgery.

You need to slice through the white plastic tab over the connection (use many, gentle passes with a sharp X-acto blade. you don't want to cut all the way through, since that will risk cutting the traces; you want to cut, say, 3/4 of the way through, then bend it back and forth until it snaps off like a beverage can tab. alternatively, once you've cut 3/4 of the way through and can fold the tab up, you can finish your cut from the *bottom*, slicing parallel to the PCB, so you won't cut the traces).

Once the plastic is out of the way, you can de-solder the ribbon cable pretty easily: hold a hot iron across the pads and apply gentle pressure to lift up the ribbon. When the connection gets hot enough, you'll see the ribbon start to separate from the pads. Then just re-tin the pads and wire your connections.

It's also worth noting, the pinout on the DS stick is different from the PSP stick. http://forums.modretro.com/index.php?th ... tick.8256/

Ark

Post by Ark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks guys for your replies!

Unfortunately it seems that I got a slightly different version of the Joystick... I have snapped of the white plastic that was covering the ribbon, but instead of a black square I got what I think are the solder points? (You can see it on the Image below that I attached)
Joystick.jpeg
Joystick.jpeg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6742 times
Am I right and are those the solder points?, will it be possible to cut the ribbon since I am not going to connect anything with them or should I leave it?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 pm

No, the black plastic is on the white tab you snapped off.

You should be able to desolder the ribbon cable, then you can solder your wires to the bare PCB. Just heat your iron up, place it across the pads (you may need to work the iron back and forth to heat them all) and gently pull up on the ribbon; when the solder gets hot enough to melt, you'll be able to (again, gently) peel away the ribbon.

TonyStark26

Post by TonyStark26 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

For the next pre-order of circuit sword I'm actually planning to put that 4pin connector for the 3DS on the board already.. won't help you right now but i can't believe that i didn't do it in the first place!
Kite, we need two of those points so we can either use a second joystick, or a "C" stick like this one:

TonyStark26

Post by TonyStark26 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

The plan is to use it as a "C" stick, to basically have the yellow up, down, left, right, buttons that are on the original Nintendo 64 controller:
this will allow the game-boy to have full N64 compatibility, PlayStation, as well as other systems like GameCube and Wii, whenever the next generation raspberry pi can support newer Nintendo systems in the future. if I use the 3ds "C" stick in the center of the game-boy, it will be small enough to not interfere with the "A,B,X,Y" buttons, and it will look right for the game-boy aesthetics, considering it is an official Nintendo part.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 am

As the solution to how to use a Nintendo 3DS on a CSO has popped out, i change the topic’s title to something more relevant
Follow me on instagram Image