[SOLVED] CSO - Reboot Loop at startup

smoki86

[SOLVED] CSO - Reboot Loop at startup

Post by smoki86 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm

So, I did build my second gbz today using kites new board.
Took only about 2-3 hours, that is already amazing :)

I tested it when I got it, it booted using my ~1.5A supply into retropie to the controller setup, I shut it down here.
I completed the build and now it keeps restarting on me, just a few lines of init stuff, then fade to white and restart.

I tested the 2.5A original power supply (hat to solder a usb jack to it), same effect.
I also reflashed the image a few times, used a different SD card (16gb sandisc ultras that always worked) and same effect.
I have soldered nothing to the board, just plug and play as intended. Also I am not using a battery yet, still waiting for the one from the forum to be delivered. I am using kites image from github.

Did I break my new toy? And how? oO

kubino

Re: Reboot Loop on Circuit Sword

Post by kubino » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm

smoki86 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm
So, I did build my second gbz today using kites new board.
Took only about 2-3 hours, that is already amazing :)

I tested it when I got it, it booted using my ~1.5A supply into retropie to the controller setup, I shut it down here.
I completed the build and now it keeps restarting on me, just a few lines of init stuff, then fade to white and restart.

I tested the 2.5A original power supply (hat to solder a usb jack to it), same effect.
I also reflashed the image a few times, used a different SD card (16gb sandisc ultras that always worked) and same effect.
I have soldered nothing to the board, just plug and play as intended. Also I am not using a battery yet, still waiting for the one from the forum to be delivered.

Did I break my new toy? And how? oO
This happened to me on SAIO too. It's because of missing battery. I'm 99% sure it will work after you connect it ;-)

smoki86

Post by smoki86 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Alright, I am missing a fitting JST connector to test another one of my batteries, so I guess I'll wait.
Still weird that it worked the first time. kite also describes the first boot in the wiki without the battery and that worked the first time.

smoki86

Post by smoki86 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm

OK, I could not wait, so I hacked together my own JST connector using some trimmed down female jumper cables :)
Yep, works just fine. Weird, but thanks !!

kite

Post by kite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am

It is most likely the CABLE that you are using, not the power supply.. but the fix is to install a battery.. the CM3 pulls a lot of power especially on boot and the cable is the current limiting factor :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

smoki86

Post by smoki86 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:25 pm

That might just be it, or a poor soldering job by me adding the USB jack to the PI power supply. The cable is rated for 5V/3A and it should be able to charge a chromebook and should be compatible with the other fancy new charging techniques (SuperCharge, TurboPower and so on). It does look and feel massive and not flimsy at all. But well, it works with a battery, so I am happy either way :)

Also just finished the rest of the build, thanks for including the back button board, it's as easy as drilling some holes and soldering microswitches on it (I did not go for the rubber pads here). I am so impressed with the build overall, sooo much better than my last build,

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 pm

As stated Kite, the power cord is your bottle neck. When booting the CM3 draws a lot of power and if lacking, does a safe reboot alone. Plugging the battery is a solution as the extra needed power can be taken from the battery.

But i suggest you to buy a better cable with better power transport ability !

Changing the topic’s title to something more relevant
Follow me on instagram Image