MODE button hard resets Pi

TerryMathews

MODE button hard resets Pi

Post by TerryMathews » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 am

I've got an issue I've been chasing for about 4 hours now and I'm at the end of what I can troubleshoot with it. At first I thought I had shorted two pins together when I replaced the MODE tactile switch with the longer one suggested, but this behavior persists even if I disconnect the back board and use the SMD buttons on the main PCB.

System hard-resets even if there is no SD card inserted. Any suggestions?

SparkySid

Re: MODE button hard resets Pi

Post by SparkySid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm

What happens when you run the basic sanity check? https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... nics-Guide
Might be worth trying TESTER mode too. https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... ESTER-Mode

I tried holding down the mode switch (simulating a short circuit) while powering up my functional CSO (with and without the SD card) and I wasn't able to reproduce a hard reset.

Also, not sure how far you've gone on the assembly process, but if you have things in a case, make sure you've used kapton tape on the circuit boards where they could potentially short against each other.

Another long shot, all the LiPo batteries I got off Amazon had the polarity reversed in their connectors. Make sure the battery red wire is going to the + side on the CSO board.

TerryMathews

Post by TerryMathews » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Powers up and boots ok, so it's not the battery. Im able to launch RetroPie and configure buttons.

I did insulate with kapton, but this behavior exhibits even using the main PCB only. I think there's a short in the MODE button wiring on my main PCB. A few connectors are slightly skewed, it's like someone bumped the pick and place machine.

MODE reboot behavior persists when running software in TESTING mode, and with no software at all so I really think it's the PI's short circuit protection engaging.

Vernpi

Post by Vernpi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:42 am

Any luck with this issue?? I have a boxypixel build now and it's the same situation as yours. I triple checked full kapton coverage and still hard resetting.