Updated through RetroPie Setup, lost Wifi module.

Kross64hero

Updated through RetroPie Setup, lost Wifi module.

Post by Kross64hero » Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 pm

After going to RetroPie config -> RetroPie-Setup Script and clicking Update, I eventually clicked "yes" to update stuff like the Kernel.

After a reboot, the Wifi module is gone. When I go to RetroPie Config -> WiFi I get "No wlan0 interface detected"

I assume i clobbered the special kernel for WiFi? If the answer is yes, then that means we can never use RetroPies updater? It updated a LOT including the emulators. It would suck to not be able to update every now and then through the RetroPie-Setup.

EDIT: Answered my own question about updating with this https://github.com/kiteretro/Circuit-Sw ... -423745734
Last edited by Kross64hero on Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kross64hero

Re: Updated through RetroPie Setup, lost Wifi module.

Post by Kross64hero » Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Update, it might be worse than I thought. I re-imaged my card fresh, and put back my known-working wifi supplicant file and I still get nothing. Mode button shows Wifi-ON

Test output: Image

I tried removing the shell and testing in case of a short, no luck. Tape looks fine.

Kross64hero

Post by Kross64hero » Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Sorry for spamming, im testing and posting as I go. I opened it up again, applied pressure to the chip with my finger and then booted. When it came back up, the wifi logo was back.

kite

Re: Updated, lost Wifi module.

Post by kite » Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 am

Updating is fine but you MUST select NO to updating the kernel :)

If wiki does the X thing, sometimes just doing the mode combo OFF and waiting 10 secs and doing mode combo ON can bring it back 😊
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

Kross64hero

Post by Kross64hero » Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Updating is fine but you MUST select NO to updating the kernel
I think it was an all or nothing option. Unless you know something I don't.

I think like the GitHub thread says it would be really really nice to let everything update as usual and retroactively install your wifi support somehow. Having to wait for your images so I can have an updated kernel is not really sustainable.

kite

Re: Updated, lost Wifi module.

Post by kite » Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 am

Completely agree, the issue is that the wifi module is an extra kernel module, which isn't on there by default, so it means compiling for the specific kernel version.. which has the problem where you need internet access in order to clone the kernel and build the extra module :P

I hope at some point to add steps, but you can run the update thing but say NO to kernel, everything else will be updated. I do appreciate that this isn't sustainable so when a major version gets released I'll update until i have steps to build wifi module
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 am

kite wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:02 am
Completely agree, the issue is that the wifi module is an extra kernel module, which isn't on there by default, so it means compiling for the specific kernel version.. which has the problem where you need internet access in order to clone the kernel and build the extra module :P

I hope at some point to add steps, but you can run the update thing but say NO to kernel, everything else will be updated. I do appreciate that this isn't sustainable so when a major version gets released I'll update until i have steps to build wifi module
Dear Mr. Kite, I also screwed up last night and tried to update to the new retropie version and ended up losing my wifi. Is there any movement on this? I would like to not have to wipe my sd card and start fresh, but if that's what I have to do than that is what I have to do. Also, I was wondering if you will be releasing new circuit sword software with the new retropie version? Thanks. ;)