Low profile power switch?

gizmo

Low profile power switch?

Post by gizmo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am

I’m slowly inching my way to completing my gbz using kites v1 saio. Yep I know! :lol: :oops:

I’m now at the part where I need to cut the cartridge slot slightly to accommodate the power switch. However, if at all possible I’d rather not do this. It would ruin the outer casing if I chose not to hide the hole with a cart. Plus it just goes against my ocd!

I thought I might be able to use the original switch used in a dmg but found out that it is soldered to the board.

Does anyone know if a lower profile flip switch exists? And where I could get one? I’ve been looking but all the ones I’ve found so far seem to be the generic kind that comes include with kites kit.

Any advice much appreciated.

sgtgrumbles

Re: Low profile power switch?

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 pm

For the SAIO, there should be no need to cut the cartridge slot. The power switch provided by Kite should fit in the corner without the need to modify the case. Take a look at pics from other completed builds. That being said, can you post a pic if the problem remains?

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:33 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:14 pm
For the SAIO, there should be no need to cut the cartridge slot. The power switch provided by Kite should fit in the corner without the need to modify the case. Take a look at pics from other completed builds. That being said, can you post a pic if the problem remains?
Thanks so much for the reply @sgtgrumbles Hmm that's interesting. I assume that might be for newer SAIO boards? I have the very first revision and the switch supplied definitely rises above the screw post. As seen in kite's guide here.

Does this mean that kite is able to supply lower profile switches now? I'd definitely buy one from him if so. Even if they're soldered to the newer boards now I'd happily buy one separately. Do you know if that's the case?

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:13 am

Ah ha, I've just seen that kite's newer boards are in fact different and he has a combined mode/power switch board! I wonder if this could still be connected to my older revision? Does anyone know if this is possible?

I need to contact kite I think. His PM's don't seem to be working here though currently, is anything up?

sgtgrumbles

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:20 pm

I may have been incorrect about the power switch. I searched the forum to find some pictures of old SAIO builds and came across the following post where a user speaks about the need for a low-profile switch:
Also, I was able to source a lower profile switch (Thanks Camble!), that allowed me to do the build without having to notch the case where the switch sat.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2729&p=28960&hilit=SAIO#p28893