All in One PCB Support Thread

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by Helder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:51 am

Treguard wrote: Is the wire on the usb fix meant to bridge those two components on the very end (next to each other) see last photo.

I've resoldered rhe connections for P22 and P23 as one had connectivity with the little 'hole' next to it. Checked both ends with a multimeter and no problems.

I also tested connectivity between that little hole under rhe "A" to the relevant input and that came back ok, so i'm guessing the traces definitely aren't damaged
So if there are no bridging and there traces are undamaged then it should work. Use a multimeter to test these points from the Pi to the colored traces in the image below, you might need to scrape a little of the white coating to check continuity.

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am

Helder wrote:
Treguard wrote: Is the wire on the usb fix meant to bridge those two components on the very end (next to each other) see last photo.

I've resoldered rhe connections for P22 and P23 as one had connectivity with the little 'hole' next to it. Checked both ends with a multimeter and no problems.

I also tested connectivity between that little hole under rhe "A" to the relevant input and that came back ok, so i'm guessing the traces definitely aren't damaged
So if there are no bridging and there traces are undamaged then it should work. Use a multimeter to test these points from the Pi to the colored traces in the image below, you might need to scrape a little of the white coating to check continuity.

Thanks again. Just checked for continuity at all those points and no problem found. Is there a trace I can check to see if the board is drawing power? Am I right in thinking that it just gets it off the powerstrip?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Power Strip powers everything but there is a fuse Labeled F1 on the Power Strip that controls the current going to the chips on the AIO. Check if 5V are there on the left side of F1, if it is then it's getting power to the chips on the board but it's also good to check the other 5V marked areas too for 5V (not on the Power Strip itself).

Did you do anything to the wire fix or remove the solder blob on the USB hub chip? All of that is meant to be there to make the USB work.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Helder wrote:Power Strip powers everything but there is a fuse Labeled F1 on the Power Strip that controls the current going to the chips on the AIO. Check if 5V are there on the left side of F1, if it is then it's getting power to the chips on the board but it's also good to check the other 5V marked areas too for 5V (not on the Power Strip itself).

Did you do anything to the wire fix or remove the solder blob on the USB hub chip? All of that is meant to be there to make the USB work.
No definitely didn't touch the wire fix/blob. I'm going to sound thick now, but how do you test if 5v are there on the left side of F1? Also, is there a diagram that shows which other areas are 5v or did you just mean the usb holes, speaker, volume wheel?

Would anything in the first post make a difference? i.e.

1) Volume wheel not connected

2) The Aio isn't screwed in to the case with pads up against them (ie it should still detect the gamepad itself)

3) No knowing if the tactile switches are wired up correctly. Could that affect both the gamepad being recognised and the USB Hub working?

4) A keyboard isn't plugged in - presumably the gamepad should be autodetected and usable straight away on first run of emulation station?

I noticed the wire fix bridges C18 (shown as C19 on the diagram above) and R11. I haven't got a screenshot of the original unfortunately. Just double checking :)

The three capacitors and quite a few capacitors and resistors on the other side of the board dont seem to show any continuity (ie testing both ends of the component). Im not familiar with surface mounted pcb so unsure if that's normal?

Edit:- Ok some good news. I tidied up the connections on the powerstrip and moved them up (so basically Pi first then SCreen below that) and also connected the ground for the safety shutdown to one on the powerstrip... and checked again. It isn't recognising any of my keybaords, however I did have success when plugging in a mouse (not sure if the very first screen of emulation station has mouse support) so it could be that the usb port is supplying power but maybe not enough or keyboard just isn't supported . I know that keyboard does work with the Pi - is it possible to use the Pi's USB while Pads 22 and 23 are connected?

Still says No Gamepad detected though, but one step closer :)
Last edited by Treguard on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

enemone

Post by enemone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:54 am

@helder

I wired up a single usb female connector to one of the ports on the board. Is it possible to use a multi-hub usb off of that one to gain more connections? I tried earier with an older multi-hub and I couldnt get it to work, however directly connecting a keyboard to the one I wired up worked.

The reason why I am asking is because I just purchased a usb hub that comes with an ethernet adapter built in. I tried the work around to get my wifi dongle working however nothing worked after editing the config and cmdline with the keyboard and wifi dongle, and they both work on my pi2.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:54 pm

enemone wrote: I wired up a single usb female connector to one of the ports on the board. Is it possible to use a multi-hub usb off of that one to gain more connections? I tried earier with an older multi-hub and I couldnt get it to work, however directly connecting a keyboard to the one I wired up worked.

The reason why I am asking is because I just purchased a usb hub that comes with an ethernet adapter built in. I tried the work around to get my wifi dongle working however nothing worked after editing the config and cmdline with the keyboard and wifi dongle, and they both work on my pi2.
I would wire the usb hub to the pi and my board to that hub and use your wifi on your hub.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Damn someone told me that the micro usb port on the pi won't work if something is commected to p22 and p23.
Aren't there any sets of alternate drivers that can be used to improve compatibility with the hub? Seems weird that it's happy with an xbox controller but not with several different keyboard makes.
Could try putting in the proper drivers for the 360 pad so it doesn't hang halfway through setup, but I'm guessing i'll need a keyboard to go ito retroarch setup.

Edit:- I do have a zero4u usb hub. Is it worth connecting the aio to that instead of p22 and p23? I know the keyboard will work off that. Are D+ and D- essentially the green and white wires?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Treguard wrote:Damn someone told me that the micro usb port on the pi won't work if something is commected to p22 and p23.
Aren't there any sets of alternate drivers that can be used to improve compatibility with the hub? Seems weird that it's happy with an xbox controller but not with several different keyboard makes.
Could try putting in the proper drivers for the 360 pad so it doesn't hang halfway through setup, but I'm guessing i'll need a keyboard to go ito retroarch setup.

Edit:- I do have a zero4u usb hub. Is it worth connecting the aio to that instead of p22 and p23? I know the keyboard will work off that. Are D+ and D- essentially the green and white wires?
I honestly have no idea why this hub chip has such issues when I have seen so many usb hub boards for the pi use the same exact chip and schematic. It must be the Retropie or something as I'm assuming people use those hubs on Raspian or some other Pi specific OS.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Helder wrote:
Treguard wrote:Damn someone told me that the micro usb port on the pi won't work if something is commected to p22 and p23.

I honestly have no idea why this hub chip has such issues when I have seen so many usb hub boards for the pi use the same exact chip and schematic. It must be the Retropie or something as I'm assuming people use those hubs on Raspian or some other Pi specific OS.
It's ok don't worry - I didn't think to try an alternative to Retropie. Any thoughts on the couple of ideas/suggestions I had would be most welcomed :)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Treguard wrote:
Helder wrote:

It's ok don't worry - I didn't think to try an alternative to Retropie. Any thoughts on the couple of ideas/suggestions I had would be most welcomed :)
There is Lakka which has some nice updates and style similar to the PS3/PSP also RecallBox is another alternative.