All in One PCB Support Thread

jeffy1021

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by jeffy1021 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:11 am

I did some current tests tonight and here is what I found:

screen (ebay-wankedastore 640x480) - 380-390mA
AIO (no additional USB devices connected) - 300mA while starting up and 60mA after it settles down
pi zero - 90mA while starting up and 220mA while the OS is running
sandisk USB flash drive - 70mA

It seems like the powerboost has enough juice to support everything, barely. I actually have a powerboost basic as well. Does anyone know if it is safe to use a Y adapter to connect the battery to both the powerboosts (with separate enable switches of course)? That way, one could split up the current load between the two.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
@helder from reading the Adafruit website and forums, It is my understanding that the Powerboost 1000c can only supply 1amp of output current. Do you see this to be an issue with your estimation needing up to 1.2 amps?
It might be an issue if all ports are being used up, a bare minimalist approach with the AIO a screen and Pi should be under 1A. I thought the Powerboost supplied 2A, and I actually found some IC's that do supply 2A guaranteed by their design but since there was enough power alternatives I didn't bother designing something for this.

I'm receiving some power boards which say they output 1A and 2.1A (2 separate outputs) so maybe this will be a good alternative and they are cheap too.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:46 am

Helder wrote:
HoolyHoo wrote:
@helder from reading the Adafruit website and forums, It is my understanding that the Powerboost 1000c can only supply 1amp of output current. Do you see this to be an issue with your estimation needing up to 1.2 amps?
It might be an issue if all ports are being used up, a bare minimalist approach with the AIO a screen and Pi should be under 1A. I thought the Powerboost supplied 2A, and I actually found some IC's that do supply 2A guaranteed by their design but since there was enough power alternatives I didn't bother designing something for this.

I'm receiving some power boards which say they output 1A and 2.1A (2 separate outputs) so maybe this will be a good alternative and they are cheap too.

Do you have a link for those?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:36 am

HoolyHoo wrote:

Do you have a link for those?
http://www.banggood.com/Dual-USB-5V-1A- ... 31593.html

Just not 100% sure they can be used with Lipo batteries but worth a shot.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 am

Actually the powerboost can supply 2a of current (2.5a peak). The 1a rating is for charging.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pow ... y?view=all

I still think some devices are not compatible with the usb on the aio but of course I'll need to continue testing. For example, my keyboard works with the aio hub but not my flash drive or wifi dongle. However when I connect them directly to the pi zero, they work. I still need to try re wiring the aio just in case there is a intermittent short somewhere or something like that though continuity tests are ok.

Camble

Post by Camble » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:24 am

jeffy1021 wrote:Actually the powerboost can supply 2a of current (2.5a peak). The 1a rating is for charging.
Good point. Done a bit of digging and it seems the PowerBoost is rated for 1A continuous draw, but if the current requirement spikes for whatever reason, say during boot-up, it should be able to supply more.
adafruit_support_bill wrote:The PowerBoost 1000C is designed for 1A continuous operation with short term output up to 2A.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 am

jeffy1021 wrote:Actually the powerboost can supply 2a of current (2.5a peak). The 1a rating is for charging.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pow ... y?view=all

I still think some devices are not compatible with the usb on the aio but of course I'll need to continue testing. For example, my keyboard works with the aio hub but not my flash drive or wifi dongle. However when I connect them directly to the pi zero, they work. I still need to try re wiring the aio just in case there is a intermittent short somewhere or something like that though continuity tests are ok.

I'm pretty much having the same issues. If you run the command lsusb does it list the wifi and storage device?

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Helder wrote:
hueblo wrote:Hey @helder I do agree with you, I believe its a software issue. I tried the solution I posted and it did not work, the command lsusb does list Edimax but when bypassing the gamepad setup and trying to hook up wifi through command line the Edimax wifi card had the same issue (blue LED is always on and it will not find any networks). I have two external USB hubs, one is the same 4 port Targus USB hub from wermy's build and the 2nd is a 4 port Gearhead USB (model UH4250MAC). When using the Targus USB hub connected directly to the pi0 the Edimax wifi card displays the same symptom but when used with the Gearhead USB hub it works perfectly. Both USB hubs did not have any kind of external power, the Targus does not have the option for it. I took the opportunity to update all the modules for retropie through the command line setup and after the update the Targus USB hub now worked with the Edimax. I hooked up the Edimax to the AIO hopping the update would have fixed the issue but it still had the same problem. Is it a possible its some kind of driver issue for the AIO?
Any way you can look at the chips inside the 2 hubs? maybe someone who can compile retro pie could add support for the chip used in the AIO even though it has been said to be the same one as it's used in the Targus but it's best to check.
Sorry I took so long. I was debating on giving up for a bit but I'll keep going. I finally took apart the targus usb hub (same one as wermys) and hook a picture of the chip. The pic on top is obviously the AIO and the pic below is the targus. They seem to be different chips if I'm not mistaken. So do we need someone to compile?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:54 pm

hueblo wrote:
Helder wrote:
hueblo wrote:Hey @helder I do agree with you, I believe its a software issue. I tried the solution I posted and it did not work, the command lsusb does list Edimax but when bypassing the gamepad setup and trying to hook up wifi through command line the Edimax wifi card had the same issue (blue LED is always on and it will not find any networks). I have two external USB hubs, one is the same 4 port Targus USB hub from wermy's build and the 2nd is a 4 port Gearhead USB (model UH4250MAC). When using the Targus USB hub connected directly to the pi0 the Edimax wifi card displays the same symptom but when used with the Gearhead USB hub it works perfectly. Both USB hubs did not have any kind of external power, the Targus does not have the option for it. I took the opportunity to update all the modules for retropie through the command line setup and after the update the Targus USB hub now worked with the Edimax. I hooked up the Edimax to the AIO hopping the update would have fixed the issue but it still had the same problem. Is it a possible its some kind of driver issue for the AIO?
Any way you can look at the chips inside the 2 hubs? maybe someone who can compile retro pie could add support for the chip used in the AIO even though it has been said to be the same one as it's used in the Targus but it's best to check.
Sorry I took so long. I was debating on giving up for a bit but I'll keep going. I finally took apart the targus usb hub (same one as wermys) and hook a picture of the chip. The pic on top is obviously the AIO and the pic below is the targus. They seem to be different chips if I'm not mistaken. So do we need someone to compile?

Damn yes they are indeed different chips with different pinouts. I chose the one on the AIO based off of what other people said that they used that worked for them but maybe it wasn't thoroughly tested since early on most people had issues with the keyboard and this one worked for them.

I'll have to look into this chip for an addon board or an update in the future.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:32 pm

I've noticed a slight difference in the way the chip on your board and the manufactured ones look so it might be the USB Hub chip is a clone or maybe not. I can send you one of the preorder boards when they arrive @hueblo and you can keep and run some tests, I'm also going to make a hub based off that chip and see if that fares better but from what you have tested it does seem to function better.

I know it is likely a driver issue and maybe we can get someone familiar with retropie drivers to help with an update for this.