[GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Resolved Game Boy Zero issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
floppes
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by floppes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 am

I am using the Kedei HDMI display and have been experimenting with its power supply. It has the DS1117 as well, but three times: one for 1.8V and two for 3.3V. The 1.8V is for the central display controller RTD2660. One of the 3.3V is for the LCD and it's backlight. The other one seems to supply the T25S40 EEPROM including the firmware and the TSC2046 touch controller. The CS4334 D/A converter is powered by 5V. Without 5V supply there is no sound.

I measured the currents and voltages at the beginning of Super Mario Land level 1 with headphones connected, so they can be compared easily.

Supplying the display with 4.962 V from a USB power supply, it draws 394 mA which is 1.955 W.

I desoldered the three DS1117 linear regulators and used 5V, 3.3V and 1.8V from the Pi, as instructed by salami738. These are my measurements:
1.80 V: 77 mA = 0.138 W
3.32 V: 234 mA = 0.777 W
4.97 V: 13 mA = 0.065 W.

In total this is a consumption of 0.98 W. That's half of the power it draws when the linear regulators are used!

Thanks to salami738 for his guide! I will be modding all my displays for future builds. This improves battery life and reduces heat inside the case.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (58.19 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:44 am

floppes wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 am
I am using the Kedei HDMI display and have been experimenting with its power supply. It has the DS1117 as well, but three times: one for 1.8V and two for 3.3V. The 1.8V is for the central display controller RTD2660. One of the 3.3V is for the LCD and it's backlight. The other one seems to supply the T25S40 EEPROM including the firmware and the TSC2046 touch controller. The CS4334 D/A converter is powered by 5V. Without 5V supply there is no sound.

I measured the currents and voltages at the beginning of Super Mario Land level 1 with headphones connected, so they can be compared easily.

Supplying the display with 4.962 V from a USB power supply, it draws 394 mA which is 1.955 W.

I desoldered the three DS1117 linear regulators and used 5V, 3.3V and 1.8V from the Pi, as instructed by salami738. These are my measurements:
1.80 V: 77 mA = 0.138 W
3.32 V: 234 mA = 0.777 W
4.97 V: 13 mA = 0.065 W.

In total this is a consumption of 0.98 W. That's half of the power it draws when the linear regulators are used!

Thanks to salami738 for his guide! I will be modding all my displays for future builds. This improves battery life and reduces heat inside the case.
great stuff....

can you give a better look on how you have it wired up to the Pi/Build....
as the images you provided have several wires connected to the screen, where do these wires go


thanks


.

floppes
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by floppes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 am

Here's my test setup:
1.jpg
1.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
For the pins on the Pi, please refer to this picture:
salami738 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm
Image
GND can be connected to any of the original pin 1's where the DS1117 were, 5V to any pin 3:
2.png
2.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 am

floppes wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 am
Here's my test setup:

1.jpg

thats perfect.... thanks....

this will be useful to anyone wanting to do this.....

a couple of things....
how have you modified the screen to fit into a DMG shell (if that's what your gonna use it with)

also how is the back light with the power mod



.

floppes
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by floppes » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:48 am

There is a great guide from ZeroBoy about how to modify the display to fit into the original Game Boy case:
https://www.zeroboy.eu/3-5-hdmi-touch-tft/.
It's in German but even if you don't understand the text, the pictures will help a lot. The display is quite fragile and you need to handle it carefully. I already damaged two (which I used for my experiments later).

The backlight doesn't change with the mod. It's powered by the 3.3V rail.

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 am

floppes wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:48 am
There is a great guide from ZeroBoy about how to modify the display to fit into the original Game Boy case:
https://www.zeroboy.eu/3-5-hdmi-touch-tft/.
It's in German but even if you don't understand the text, the pictures will help a lot. The display is quite fragile and you need to handle it carefully. I already damaged two (which I used for my experiments later).

The backlight doesn't change with the mod. It's powered by the 3.3V rail.


thanks....

but, i'm not a fan of this Zeroboy, so i'll be giving that a miss.....
hes a bit deluded from my experience with him....

besides i don't think he actual shows how to modify the screen itself (not the board) so that it will fit...
(there are two different sizes of the screen, one marginally bigger than the other which causes fitment issues)


.

salami738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by salami738 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 am

floppes wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 am
I am using the Kedei HDMI display and have been experimenting with its power supply. It has the DS1117 as well, but three times: one for 1.8V and two for 3.3V. The 1.8V is for the central display controller RTD2660. One of the 3.3V is for the LCD and it's backlight. The other one seems to supply the T25S40 EEPROM including the firmware and the TSC2046 touch controller. The CS4334 D/A converter is powered by 5V. Without 5V supply there is no sound.
...
Thanks for the reply, I am glad that you could benefit from this mod. Good luck with your project!

User avatar
ZeroBOYmod
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by ZeroBOYmod » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 am
thanks....

but, i'm not a fan of this Zeroboy, so i'll be giving that a miss.....
hes a bit deluded from my experience with him....

besides i don't think he actual shows how to modify the screen itself (not the board) so that it will fit...
(there are two different sizes of the screen, one marginally bigger than the other which causes fitment issues)
Hello Sudomod Community
Hello VeteranGamer

For a long time I read silently, now I take the moment and say hello :)

Of course, our Kedei Tutorial for the 320 x 480, and the 800x480 Version (which is being overhauled in our new and big RTFM section, by the way) takes care of every step, including shortening the board, preparing the config.txt and a little FAQ. We are constantly updating our tutorials, as there can always be new revisions. The previous Kedei ones differ primarily only in that other parts were installed (for example other voltage regulators) and that there were occasionally 4 tiny plastic parts on the edge, which you could easily remove so that the monitor fits.
We do not currently support the MPI3508 HDMI Board for a variety of reasons.

In addition, there is a language switcher on the top right at the website (click the flag), then no one needs to quibble with google translate ;)

There is also a diagram on the new RTFM (should be finished the next month and translated until August) section, which illustrates the "power-saving mode". I have attached a picture

Image
description from one of our members, you know him here with the name floppes:
"We usually supply the display with 5V. The display shows inefficient linear regulators to produce 3.3V and 1.8V. You can remove the voltage regulator and pick up the required voltages directly on the Pi. In my test setup, I was able to reduce the consumption of the display from 1.955 W to 0.95 W. This extends the battery life and reduces the heat in the case. The only downside is just two more cables from the Pi to the display. The 5V to the display will continue to be needed for the soud."
IMPORTANT: The 3 linear regulators (red marking with inscription "REMOVE") must be removed, otherwise there will be nasty short circuit!

And I think thats all for now :)

Greetings on behalf of the ZeroBOY community from Germany / Austria

best regards
the one "deluded" guy who's guilty that Veteransgamer 3D model on thingiverse looked too similar to mine (just removed the logo) and was taken offline because of a license violation. But that's a old hat (for me), because the team of Thingiverse already has spoken and we can all continue now :)

salami738
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by salami738 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 am

ZeroBOYmod wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 am
thanks....

but, i'm not a fan of this Zeroboy, so i'll be giving that a miss.....
hes a bit deluded from my experience with him....

besides i don't think he actual shows how to modify the screen itself (not the board) so that it will fit...
(there are two different sizes of the screen, one marginally bigger than the other which causes fitment issues)
Hello Sudomod Community
Hello VeteranGamer

For a long time I read silently, now I take the moment and say hello :)

Of course, our Kedei Tutorial for the 320 x 480, and the 800x480 Version (which is being overhauled in our new and big RTFM section, by the way) takes care of every step, including shortening the board, preparing the config.txt and a little FAQ. We are constantly updating our ...
Hi, please check my previous posts too. The mod is also usable for the MPI3508 display. You can use my description and pictures, if you include a link to this forum or my nickname.

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: [GUIDE] 3.5 inch HDMI Display - high energy usage

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:53 am

ZeroBOYmod wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 pm

the one "deluded" guy who's guilty that Veteransgamer 3D model on thingiverse looked too similar to mine (just removed the logo) and was taken offline because of a license violation. But that's a old hat (for me), because the team of Thingiverse already has spoken and we can all continue now :)
lets not make a big issue of this....

of course it looked like your....

i remixed a design that you put on thingiverse (freely shared)....
gave full credit to you in the description, and advised that it was a remix....

your ego couldnt handle that i removed the "Zeroboy" logo and replaced it with "GAME BOY ZERO"
(re-shared it freely, giving options to anyone that didn't want Zeroboy on it....)




but thats not why i think your deluded (from my experience with you) (and IMHO)....



its because you accused me of stealing ideas (even thou it was a remix and credit was given to the creator)

but you were selling Helder common ground PCB on your site with the Zeroboy logo on it
(pot calling the kettle black)
(but apparently Helder gave you full permission to do this, via your communications using you original profile on Sudomod)

as well as selling Wermy 3d designed screw bracket and other bit (which were meant to be shared freely, could be wrong on this)
(i appreciate that there are a lot of people doing this as well, selling other peoples designs)
(but again, pot calling the kettle black)


now after pulling you up on this, and calling you out about your hypocritical stance....
which you tried to defend (Helder gave you full permission, and maybe he did.. i never asked, not my position to do so)....
the items were suddenly removed from your site....
now if they were your own designs, why did you remove them after i called you out on it (hmmmm)....




now you could call me a liar here
(which i wouldnt be surprised if you do, but we both know whats, what.....)

(and unfortunately the message communication we had on Thingiverse are still there... lets be adults about this... and truthful)
and as you say "we can all continue now"



i have no hard feelings towards you (welcome back to Sudomod)....
just not a fan, from my experience with you (maybe its the English in me)....



.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest