[solved] D-Pad Down Not Working

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
dryja123

Re: D-Pad Down Not Working

Post by dryja123 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:41 am

It looks like you're reworking the wrong Gpio for down. Heres a picture of the correct gpio along with a suggestion. Try soldering a wire directly from the Gpio to the down pad.

Post back with your results and questions
Attachments
20171231_123904.jpg
20171231_123904.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 10156 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:22 am

Also. Like I said. The pin right above down is ground. So test continuity between those two pins. If you have continuity then they are bridged below the pi.

scottaudette

Post by scottaudette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:40 pm

And @rodocop nailed. It have continuity between the two GPIO's (down & the above GPIO ground). So can I still use one of the other unused GPIO and just bridge to the down test pad?

And then how do I change the code in Wermy's image?

Or I am hosed?

Thanks again to all of your for your help!

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:54 pm

I don't think it will work if down is shorted with ground. Do you have a solder wick? I'd try to wick some solder out of that gpio.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm

scottaudette wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:40 pm
And @rodocop nailed. It have continuity between the two GPIO's (down & the above GPIO ground). So can I still use one of the other unused GPIO and just bridge to the down test pad?

And then how do I change the code in Wermy's image?

Or I am hosed?

Thanks again to all of your for your help!
If you aren't going to use the down gpio it may not matter that it is bridged...Not sure...

Might not be hosed. You can use an unused gpio and change the retrogame file in the boot directory. What ever number down is will need to be changed to the new gpio (bcm number). Google a pi zero pin out to see what pins can be used.

It will probably be pretty hard to remove the bridge without totally detaching the pi. Which is not easy. Hopefully wick will help.

There is one other file for the function hotkeys that will need to be altered as well to switch the down key.

MintyCombo.py. located somewhere is the /home/pi directory.

scottaudette

Post by scottaudette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Add this one to the RESOLVED!!!! I was able to wick enough solder to get the DOWN D-Pad working! Thank ALL OF YOU SO much. Now to ftp some games on here I hope! ;)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm

scottaudette wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58 pm
Add this one to the RESOLVED!!!! I was able to wick enough solder to get the DOWN D-Pad working! Thank ALL OF YOU SO much. Now to ftp some games on here I hope! ;)
Awesome to hear. Glad a simple wicking helped!!

YaYa

Re: [solved] D-Pad Down Not Working

Post by YaYa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 am

Edited the title to add a solved ;)
Follow me on instagram Image

dryja123

Re: [solved] D-Pad Down Not Working

Post by dryja123 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 am

Woo-hoo, go team!

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:37 am

rodocop wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:54 am
sygyzy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 am
I didn't want to start another thread so I thought i'd tag onto this. When I built my mintyPi, I must have taken it apart and reassembled it two dozen times so eventually I just said enough was enough. What really bothered me though is how unresponsive the buttons are, especially A. This is a real problem since A is OK or Accept for almost all menus/actions. I have tried the tips posted like cleaning the pads, laying down a thing layer of solder etc. I don't play with the mintyPi at all because each time the user experience is so terrible. Does anyone have perfectly working buttons? Is there a flaw with the PCB that it's so picky but much cheaper (controller) boards are perfectly responsive? Should I be shimming the button with paper? What else can I try?
All three I have built seemed to work perfectly fine. You could try a small shim on the a button. Can't hurt to try. Also run a jumper wire from the gpio to the test pad. See if that makes a difference. And I guess make sure the button holes are filed enough so there is nothing that can catch the button. Finally try a fresh image.

I know you said you tried a lot of things. So I'm not sure if I'm repeating what you have already tried. But what I listed is what I would personally try.
Hi Rod and dryja123, I was able to mostly fix the A button issues by trying every trick under the sun including: shimming with kapton tape (this actually hurt it and resulted in 0% activations, so I removed it), cleaning up the pads, adding flux and added a fresh layer of solder, cleaning the area, and running a wire from the Pi to the A test pad. However, a new issue popped up while I was disassembling/reassembling which I'll post as a new topic.