Goku duck - problem with printer or model

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
goodBEan

Goku duck - problem with printer or model

Post by goodBEan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:39 pm

I am currently having trouble printing out a model I have which is a combo of a rubber duck and dbz. I have printed it out twice with pla and both times it screwed up halfway up the bill. Right now I am not sure if its a problem with the model or printer setting. I have tried twice on pla. I have the stl file attached.

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Goku duck - problem with printer or model

Post by wermy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:36 am

Hm, hard to say. It looks like he's having a hard time extruding. My first thought for PLA would be possible heat creep - reducing your retraction settings can help with that but further up the model it looks like you aren't retracting enough.
What temperature are you printing at, and how fast?
Which slicer are you using? Is it one that you can easily scrub through the print to see if there is anything weird going on at about that height?
ImageImageImageImage

goodBEan

Re: Goku duck - problem with printer or model

Post by goodBEan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I kinda doubt it was the printer. Right after posting this I printed out the vegeta duck, and it came out near perfect. Its same base duck model with different hair.

I also had a weird issue with another print that prevented new layers from being applied and I figured out that there were some excess overlapping geometry screwing up the slicing. So I started over and did a different style of goku hair. Once I get these other print jobs out of the way I will try the new goku duck.